Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what the average weight limits are for carbon fiber seat posts and/or forks? I know there are different thicknesses and such. Just going on average. I am currently 295. Dropped weight from originally 424. More still coming slowly. I built this bike a few months back and getting itchy to use it. Just curious on how they calculate it. Is it by rider weight total distributed or total limit for the carbon tubes themselves? I want to know the safe weight to where I don't snap them while I ride. I really want to ride more on this bike. I am just being careful. Thank you! It's a 2008 Gary Fisher Mendota I built from scratch. I have removed the carbon seat post until I am lighter but the forks are still carbon fiber and they do have some flex.
w

· Sneaker man
3,805 Posts
How long is a piece of string...? The only people that woud be able to calculate that are the people who designed/made the part, as they will know the grade of carbon and the layup. But even then they will only be able to calculate a theoretical limit.
If it were me, looking at those forks, I wouldn't. They would probably be fine, but probably doesn't help it they did fail.

· Registered
1,595 Posts
congrats on the hard work.

ride a bike leaves a lot of room for interpretation.

carbon fails snap. ever seen a hockey player break a stick. full strength to no strength.

many bikes new today have a max rider and bike limit of 300lbs.

for full hardcore use of the bike in intended application.

i have been up in the 270s and ridden my bike. aluminum stumpjumper with upgraded components. stronger fork, bars, brakes, etc

id go find a steel hardtail from kona with big tires and start w that.

look up kona wozo or rsd sargent

but if you can drop another 25 lbs then the door opens to pretty much anything

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.