Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
SS Pusher Man
7,669 Posts
Ranger Pride said:
I have asked this in a couple of the other areas. If I am not going to use my wheelset tubeless is there an advantage to taking off the factory rim strips and replacing them to save weight?
You will save a couple of grams going with some Velox cloth rim strips over the thick plastic ones for the Tubelss wheels/

mtnbikej

·
SS Pusher Man
7,669 Posts
Ranger Pride said:
Thanks for the reply.

I wonder if the tires would seat into the rims easier without the tubeless rim strips?
I would say yes. The Bontrager plastic rim strips are quite thick, again compared to cloth strips.

mtnbikej

·
Double-metric mtb man
4,472 Posts
I've got the Race Disc wheelset and have had no issues seating tires to them...with or without the strip in place. I can't say the seating is any easier one way or the other.

If you're after a weight savings, yes, you'll save a little going to a tape over the plastic. Just hold on to the plastic...I didn't think I'd use mine tubeless, but I made the switch this year and will likely continue to run it because of the advantages is has for me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.