Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
6,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm trying to understand the thought process here and would appreciate any input...

yesterday my wife had the opportunity to buy the same bike that i ride (same model & colour) at a remarkable price but would not move forward because of that reason. Both my daughter and her thought that it would be silly for the two of us to be riding matching bikes. My daughter even remarked that she hoped that we would not be dressing the same. Thought we'd be the MTB Bobsey Twins.

Is it me???when looking for a bike this thought didn't even come to mind...most of the guys i mentioned this to, just laughed. I understand the need to be unique and have an individual identity, but the bike you ride???

Both my wife and drive explorers, used to work at the same company, live in the same house...well you get the idea,

but bikes??

After all of the years (married 30+ years), who knew?

Anyway, i would appreciate any feedback, this one caught me by surprise. :confused:

·
Registered
937 Posts
No idea. My BF and I ride the exact same bike, size & everything...there's a little variation in the components, but it works out great...our bikes are each other's back up bikes too!

oh yeah, and we're about to build matching Kona Unit 2-9ers too..the frames only come in one color and of course we both want the bling parts on it :cool:

·
Displaced Southerner
231 Posts
Padre and Madre have matching Leviathons.

I wouldn't mind having matching bikes with my so, of course, all his bikes are amazing... Moots, Strong, Curtlo...

Of course, we also look forward to wearing matching Christmas homemade sweatshirts. ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
624 Posts
My SO has a Titus Switchblade in blue and when I was waiting (and waiting) for my Motolite to come in, in gray, he called and said they could get me a blue one sooner. Except we'd match. I did hem and haw over that, for about 5 minutes, then I decided I couldn't wait, send the blue! Now I tease him that I'm going to buy us matching jerseys!
:eek: the horror!

·
Hairy man
4,923 Posts
JM01 said:
i'm trying to understand the thought process here and would appreciate any input...

yesterday my wife had the opportunity to buy the same bike that i ride (same model & colour) at a remarkable price but would not move forward because of that reason. Both my daughter and her thought that it would be silly for the two of us to be riding matching bikes. My daughter even remarked that she hoped that we would not be dressing the same. Thought we'd be the MTB Bobsey Twins.

Is it me???when looking for a bike this thought didn't even come to mind...most of the guys i mentioned this to, just laughed. I understand the need to be unique and have an individual identity, but the bike you ride???

Both my wife and drive explorers, used to work at the same company, live in the same house...well you get the idea,

but bikes??

After all of the years (married 30+ years), who knew?

Anyway, i would appreciate any feedback, this one caught me by surprise. :confused:
Yeesh. Yeah, I'd might pass up on matching bikes myself. My partner and I dress alike already (jeans, tshirts, and grey logoless hoodies, hers with a zip). Fortunately her balance disorder means unless I want to get a trike (and hers is kind of zippy and fun) we won't have that problem.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,009 Posts
you would think your guy friends would be calling you ghey or P. W.

I think your wife should have bought the bike...but let her be what she wants....less trouble for you and more fun all around

·
Banned
6,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i thinks that that's my point, when you're riding the trails and look at what's between your legs...how can you tell the difference?

Geez

·
Bored Carp
1,596 Posts
JMH and I often have similar bikes...

...we talk about bikes all the time, and generally reach conclusions about what seems like a good product via our discussions. Why shouldn't we both benefit from those conclusions?

We really influence each other, and that is the reason we currently have 2 carbon Orbea road bikes, 2 Bianchi rigid singlespeeds and 2 Kona Cowan SS playbikes in the stable, with 2 Orbea XC bikes on the way.

Dressing the same doesn't bother me either, but I think that is from racing. I am used to hanging out with 10 other people dressed just like I am, and learning to identify people from the back by their hair.

Cheers,
C

·
Registered
368 Posts
for what it's worth, whenever i go out for dinner with my girlfriend, we always make sure that we don't order the same thing so we can share and have a little variety in our meal. maybe she wants to be able to share and have a little variety in her rides.

·
Time is not a road.
4,150 Posts
My wife and I had matching Ellsworths. Same frame, same color, same saddles...she thought it was cool to go down the road with matching bikes on the roof.

Prior to that, we both had Schwinns. They sort of matched. I actually got mine after she got hers. Our best friends have matching Specialized Stumpys. It seems more common than not.

·
mtbr member since 1997
354 Posts
I'm usually very "anti-bobsey twin" but I wouldn't care about a matching bike (or any other equipment). We've been close with matching brands: Kona DH bikes (Stab and Stinky Dee Lux), Balfa DH bikes (BB7 and 2 Step DH); and then very close with the same XC bikes: Specialized Epics (albeit in different colours and spec'd differently since we just bought frames).

And we have the exact same package for XC skis (boots, bindings and skis) because they were on sale and we both found the boots comfy.

However I do draw the line at clothes: We both do have the same jersey (forget how we both ended up with one), but never wear them together. We can use the same equipment in my book, but we can't look alike. Guess I'm weird. ;-)

Mary Ann

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hmm...

I like the dinner analogy in favor of a different bikes. HOWEVER, if the bike fit and had the qualities in ride she was after, AND you were buying... What was she thinking? She could always accessorize (bottle cage/saddle/grips/bars/peddles) and look different.

I hope she gets an even better bike.
skm

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
First mistake.

The key phrase "thought it would be silly" is misleading because men confuse thought with logic. I think it highly unlikely that either of your girls "thought" their way to this conclusion. It isn't a rational thought process, it is emotional, and that makes it perfectly valid and very powerful. People will use logic and reason to defeat such decisions but in the end just manipulating people through intimidation and humiliation. Reason has nothing to do with it any more than a saw works on a 5mm allen.
In an article by Keith Bontreger about building bikes with cast off parts he suggested this: use what you have and what you like and come up with logical reasons later.
It is very much like an "aha!"; it simply arrives with a validity of it's own. That it defies logic is irrelivant. Think of logically constructing an arguement about liking the color red; you either do or you don't and you're unlikely to change anyone's mind about it by using logic.
Some years ago we bought a van at a great price and saved lots of money but the color was a matter of choosing between 3 colors we weren't totally wild about. The van we bought last year was exactly the color my wife wanted and we didn't save lots of money. My wife appreciated that we spent a bit more for that. If we didn't have it she would have gone with a bargain if we found one.
We have a standing joke when poeple start asking about all kinds of technical advice about what bike to buy. They start spewing second hand absolutes about this component, geometry, rebound and aluminum alloys. At some point I just take them aside and tell them the real secret to bike buying; the most important thing is the color.

·
No Justice = No Peace
1,512 Posts
My Girl is a copy cat.

She bought a Single Speed last year, and when I got my Bontrager powder coated, she dropped hers off and hed it done up in the same Dark Mettalic Eggplant, along with frames for both my kids. NOw my friend/neighbor/riding accomplice has done his specialized in the same color too!

Long live Team Aubergine !

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,290 Posts
Lol, maybe I'll get my ears boxed in this forum... but I think that most women don't like anyone dressing like they are. Doesn't make much practical sense to me, but it's how I have experienced it. So maybe the idea of coming out with two identical bikes doesn't appeal to her.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.