Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
shh. don't tell the wife
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I've been riding my large DT for 3 years now and I've decided it's time to go bigger. I'm 6'4" which put me right on the cusp of the large v. XL and as I was looking to get my feet wet I went with the smaller of the two. Now that I have 2 bikes I realize that I'm much happier (especially my back) on an XL.

With a 80mm stem on my large DT my butt ends up way back and my feet feel rather forward, which kills the lower back when I try to get down nice and low for berms and such. I've tried a large Podium and I can confidently say that for my body shape and riding style it was way, way too small.

My question is how much bigger is the XL Delirium compared against a large DT? Is it too close to call or will I get that size bump I'm looking for?

TIA.

·
pedal up
245 Posts
different machines

Hello,

I've been riding my large DT for 3 years now and I've decided it's time to go bigger. I'm 6'4" which put me right on the cusp of the large v. XL and as I was looking to get my feet wet I went with the smaller of the two. Now that I have 2 bikes I realize that I'm much happier (especially my back) on an XL.

With a 80mm stem on my large DT my butt ends up way back and my feet feel rather forward, which kills the lower back when I try to get down nice and low for berms and such. I've tried a large Podium and I can confidently say that for my body shape and riding style it was way, way too small.

My question is how much bigger is the XL Delirium compared against a large DT? Is it too close to call or will I get that size bump I'm looking for?

TIA.
From what (little) i know about the DT vs the Delirium, the Delirium has some differing geometry which changes it up in how it rides. One modification is a steeper seat tube angle, making it more climbing friendly. I'm not sure if this tightens the cockpit but i've played around and have the machine starting to work. Of note, Noel told me there is only a 1/2 size jump up in most the measures when going from a 2010 Delirium L to XL, as compared to say the differences between the M to L.

my stats:

- XL 2010 Delirium
- 6'3" and a bit with 5' of legs
- and a really long wingspan

- Thomson 45mm stem
- Enve DH 31.5" / 800mm bars
- playing with lots of spacers beneath the bars
- King non-integrated headset
- Marzocchi 66 RC3

The above fork-headset combination means the bike rides front high and on the climbs the wheel does wander and skip a bit. I've gotten use to this and sort of like the feeling of unicycling up the hill. (say as opposed to what i've heard with height adjustable forks which in the lowered setting can leave one with a fatigued feeling of the front wheel driving into the hill).

The stem-spacer-bar combo is starting to dial in. The short stem is an obvious attribute for control on the downs though makes it harder to get in low and forward when needing to punch it up. The spacer play is to find the lowest setting possible yet keeping my back from snapping due to 5' of legs. And the wide bar tip came from Noel himself... i was running the RaceFace SixC 28.5" / 725mm bar and flipped it out for the Enve as the extra width opened my wingspan better enabling my upper body to tuck down into the climbs - really helped.

Not sure if any of the above would factor into your situation; we're all unique snowflakes. When it comes to frames smaller is better for weight and whipability and the XL is by no means XC light but still manages to be a tight and flickable bike.

If you're ever in the Vancouver area you're welcome to take her for a spin about the parking lot.

·
shh. don't tell the wife
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I appreciate a smaller bike is more whipable in the air but given my riding I'm more worried about the long unbroken descents through the chunder. If the L-DT to and XL-D is only a 1/2 size I would like to try one out, but won't be in Van anytime soon (thank you for the offer though).

My decision may come down to what I can try first hand, which is tough when shopping the XL market.

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
I appreciate a smaller bike is more whipable in the air but given my riding I'm more worried about the long unbroken descents through the chunder. If the L-DT to and XL-D is only a 1/2 size I would like to try one out, but won't be in Van anytime soon (thank you for the offer though).

My decision may come down to what I can try first hand, which is tough when shopping the XL market.
What type of riding will your next bike be used for? All DH/freeride? Any climbing? At your height, if you are climbing at all, your first consideration should be seattube length. Anything shorter than 20" and you might have accelerated fatigue on the tt/st welds from high leverage. I'm 6'3" and have broken a few frames this way trying to squeeze onto a 19" ST. I also enjoy a roomy cockpit for long days in the saddle.

You will be very hard pressed to find a new XL Delirium, perhaps used though. Chilcotin's will be out in January, XL's included.

·
shh. don't tell the wife
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This'll just be for descending. My DT did a lot of uphill duty but it has since found its place as a gravity bike.

If I go for another DT or Delirium it'll be used.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I think there was a similar thread to this about a year ago from a similarly sized guy. Try searching and look at those responses as well.

FYI: I'm 6'4" but of the long back/short legs build (33" inseam). I went for a Large D-T having sat over an XL D-T in my LBS I decided it was waaay too big for the type if riding I like to do (tight n twisty rather than fast n flowing)

·
shh. don't tell the wife
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I've read a few of these threads but most of the replies are of the "I got X because..." type replies. As you've sat on both the feeling that it was "way to big" makes if hard for me to pull the trigger on a used one.

"Definitely larger" would be nice to hear but "waaay to big" is a bit scary.

I'm just getting tired of always having to order something in and shoulder all the burden when it doesn't quite fit. This goes for bikes, skis, clothing and anything else that's sized.

·
What the ----?
205 Posts
Hey JS -- Im 6'4" currently riding a 2010 XL Delirium with longer legs and shorter back (36" inseam) and fairly long wingspan. The bike fits great and im happy i got the XL instead of the large. The only change i will make is shortening my 90mm stem to 50mm.

·
Bnerd
1,078 Posts
I'm 6'6" and evenly proportioned.
I had a Large DT and moved to a XL Delirium.
I used the DT and currently use the Delirium as my "One" bike. My Del is set up with a Totem 2Step (I'll let all the haters know that it has been working beautifully because I maintain it regularly!!).

To answer your question jitenshakun, there is a noticeable size difference from the Large DT to the XL Delirium. It is bigger but the size difference felt good to me.

As mentioned by SixZeroSixOne, when I demoed an XL DT I felt it was too tall for how I ride a bike. The seat tube length was too long making it impossible to get the seat as low as I wanted even though the rest of the measurements were good.
I went with the large and it still fit well. My only minor complaint was when pedaling up tight techy trails it would have been nice to have a slightly longer TT.

When I moved to the XL Delirium I chose this size because the seat tube length matched the Large DT length.
The fit was much better on the Delirium. The top tube length let me stretch out more for climbing and for descending I felt, and was, much more centered over the bike. There were several small geo tweaks that helped with this.

I run a 50mm stem both on the DT and the Del and have 760mm (30") bars.

And, I'm not so nerdy that I've measured the height of my bars to the ground or figured out what my stack height of my headset is but I'm running the same Cane Creek XXII set from my DT on my Del.
The only time I noticed a difference in bar height was when I switched from a Marz 66 to the Totem. The front end feels slightly lower with the Totem. I also run about a 1.5cm of spacers under my stem.

And, jitenshakun I hear you on ordering and sizing dilemma! I've just come to accept that the world is built around a 5'7" majority!
It sucks!
But, until us giants rise up and take over architecture, clothing designing, car designing, furniture designing, etc, etc.... we'll have to compromise on the fit of everything!

·
Bnerd
1,078 Posts
Yeah, I've read a few of these threads but most of the replies are of the "I got X because..." type replies. As you've sat on both the feeling that it was "way to big" makes if hard for me to pull the trigger on a used one.

"Definitely larger" would be nice to hear but "waaay to big" is a bit scary.

I'm just getting tired of always having to order something in and shoulder all the burden when it doesn't quite fit. This goes for bikes, skis, clothing and anything else that's sized.
Ohnoes! I just reread this post after I posted my thoughts.
I get what you mean by some of the responses but you have to sift through any response/thoughts/advice and compare it to how/what/where you ride.

·
pedal up
245 Posts
micrometer management

And, I'm not so nerdy that I've measured the height of my bars to the ground or figured out what my stack height of my headset is but I'm running the same Cane Creek XXII set from my DT on my Del.
The only time I noticed a difference in bar height was when I switched from a Marz 66 to the Totem. The front end feels slightly lower with the Totem. I also run about a 1.5cm of spacers under my stem.
by ergonomic / chiropractic necessity get out your laser level... but as mentioned, there is only a 1/2 size jump from the L to XL Delirium.

you Jitsen are an XL,
Fahrvergnügen

Attachments

·
shh. don't tell the wife
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
RideEverything; That is the exact comparison I was hoping to read :thumbsup:

And, jitenshakun I hear you on ordering and sizing dilemma! I've just come to accept that the world is built around a 5'7" majority!
It sucks!
But, until us giants rise up and take over architecture, clothing designing, car designing, furniture designing, etc, etc.... we'll have to compromise on the fit of everything!
Agreed. For now we'll just have to have settle for statistically significantly higher success rates with our careers and better luck with hot women.

·
Bnerd
1,078 Posts
jitenshakun,

I was doing a little rereading of some of my older posts to see if I still agree with them (yes, I am a nerd) and I came across the thread I posted last summer when I moved from the DT to the Delirium.
I'm not sure if you've read it yet but here is a link http://forums.mtbr.com/knolly/my-xl-delirium-642715.html. Go to post #16. That is where I talk about the differences between the DT and Delirium. I then follow up in post #22.

I'm still super stoked on my XL Delirium. I ride the **** out of it! And, it keeps on rolling.
I did go back to a travel adjust fork (Totem 2Step) because outside of the park the terrain I ride and how I climb it makes climbing and very pedaly rides much better. It's like 2 bikes in 1!
I still have the coil Totem but that only goes on the Del during the middle of the summer when I ride in the park consistently.

Hopefully this helps a little bit in your decision making.

·
shh. don't tell the wife
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you for the link to those posts - they were really informative.

I'm still not too sure what I'll do but a certain bike shop is making some calls for me :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.