Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Trek 6000 that I'm going to let a friend ride this weekend. I'm concerned that since he weighs 270-280Lbs that maybe he may be a little to heavy for some of the components. The components I'm worried about is an old set of Mavic crossride wheels there about 2001-2002 models non disc and a 2000 Sid Sl fork. Do you think it will be ok if I just tell him to take it easy, he's really never rode before so I don't think he will be to hard on the bike. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Brandon

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
wheels is where i'd be most worried...

but i'd say keep him on a well groomed part of the trail, and air up the fork a bit and let him ride.... but if your realy to worried bout it to go have fun and let it be fun for him pass on it...

·
Making fat cool since '71
1,840 Posts
Normally the wheels would be my main concern, however...those SID forks and particularly that vintage are super-freakin-duper flexy...like worrisome flexy. I've ridden three of them (as part of doing service/rebuilds) and they deserve the "noodle" name. More air (seals are not high pressure btw) will keep him high in the travel but it wont keep the legs/stanchion-crown interface/bushings from flexing.

Brock...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the help, I'm just going to tell him to take it easy. If it breaks it breaks, it's just a spare bike anyways :p I don't know if anyone has rode the bump trail at oak mtn here in Alabama but there are some rough sections especially blood rock but I think when he see's that he will get off and walk, and he has some common sense so hopefully when he see's something to technical he will get off. I'm just trying to get all of my friends involved in the sport so they can see what there missing. Again thanks for all the replies!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.