Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do most of my own work on my bike, including derailleur adjustments. I just have one issue I can't seem to find a difinitive answer on. I have no problem setting the high and low stops and indexing on the rear derailleur. The question is on the b-tension adjustment. I have a X9 RD & SRAM's guide says to set the space between the upper derailleur pulley and the rear cog at approx 6mm. For some reason my bike shifts much better with a greater gap. 8-10mm. As a matter of fact, I will get a slight vibration if I have the gap set to 6mm and it goes away as I increase the gap. I have a 11-34 XT cassette and 32-22 dual chainrings up front with a 50mm chainline on my Yeti 575 just for reference. Is the 6mm spec just a guide to get it close or should I stick to that gap? Am I just being too anal about this? Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks,
J

· Registered
172 Posts
every bike is different, go with works best. I have never known someone to take that adjustment to critical, just make sure the top pulley is not hitting the cog, if 8-10mm is shifting great then stick with that.

· Registered
335 Posts
Surlyboy is correct -- go with what works and treat the SRAM target gap as a guideline. I run an X9 rear derailleur on my Ventana El Saltamontes and I wound up with a different B screw adjustment/gap than what SRAM suggested. FYI -- I find that tweaking that adjustment helps eliminate chain skip as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.