Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Captain Climber
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you lived in Florida and only rode in Florida, what mountain bike would you ride?

Hopefully some of you have ridden here or other flat places. We do have some small 20' drops that you come back up (like old creek beds) but I don't even have to change gears to get up them. It's kind of like a big roller.

So if:
90% of what you ride is flat hard pack dirt.
5% is really deep and loose sand depending on how dry it is.
5% is root gardens as long as 20' at a time.
What bike would you ride?

·
Up In Smoke
Dirt Roadë
3,281 Posts
Fat bike and hit the beaches for some excellent scenery. But for the flat hardpacked stuff I'd probably be on a skinny tire curly bar bike.

Assuming moving out of the state is not an option...

·
Administrator
11,819 Posts
If you lived in Florida and only rode in Florida, what mountain bike would you ride?

Hopefully some of you have ridden here or other flat places. We do have some small 20' drops that you come back up (like old creek beds) but I don't even have to change gears to get up them. It's kind of like a big roller.

So if:
I grew up in the canadian prairies and had similar riding conditions. For me the optimal bike would be a steel framed rigid or front suspended bike. Maybe the option for a fat front or plus tires. Something fast and efficient with just enough cush to get through the rough stuff. For me riding was about pinning the apexes, drifting the corners, and eking as much performance out of the bike for any given trail I rode. Kinda like tarmac racing in rally. Less about off road capability more about efficiency and getting that power down and the speed.

·
Bikes in jeans
2,371 Posts
Fat bike and hit the beaches for some excellent scenery. But for the flat hardpacked stuff I'd probably be on a skinny tire curly bar bike.

Assuming moving out of the state is not an option...
Was pretty much my exact thought. Fat plus either a gravel/CX setup or a hardtail SS 29er would be a lot of fun as well.

·
always licking the glass
4,026 Posts
I’d ride a hard tail geared plus bike for it. That’s where I think you’d have the most fun.

I rode Ocala and Gainesville while in college and it was on a 26” hardtail with 63mm of suspension. But that was 25 years ago.

Today I’d still ride a hardtail there, but steel with balloony tires and whatever front suspension you want.

·
high pivot witchcraft
6,178 Posts
I would buy the new Kona Unit X. Hell, I am buying it and I DO ride "true mountains". Tough to beat the rigid, steel framed, balloony, gold blinged, Kona geo greatness, wherever and whatever you ride.

If you're down with a single speed, go for the Unit. Same goodness, and maybe even more beautiful, in all its simplicity.

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel Wheel Bicycle wheel rim

·
Registered
5,819 Posts

So if:
29er HT. Both geared and SS because I like SS. Of course I like climbing on my SS more than doing flats on my SS. My idea SS ride always up or down and never flat, but a change of gearing might alter that perspective.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,563 Posts
When you all speak of balloony tires.. what size are you referring to?
That's a pretty vague reference in all honesty. Could mean anything from 2.5ish to 5" fatbike tires. Just depends on how you like to ride.

There are a lot of different bike setups that would work for what you're wanting to do. Especially if you did it with multiple bikes.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
Why ask those who ride true mountains? Why not ask Floridians?

Ive ridden Alafia, Santos, Razorback, and a few other places. Its not all flat and boring in FL.

For what you describe as your riding though... a plus HT would be my choice.

·
No known cure
5,727 Posts
Why ask those who ride true mountains? Why not ask Floridians?

Ive ridden Alafia, Santos, Razorback, and a few other places. Its not all flat and boring in FL.

For what you describe as your riding though... a plus HT would be my choice.
I turned down a high paying job in Florida with an international medical device company because of the lack of elevation gain/loss for mountain biking and the ability to snowboard after work. The surf conditions were fine but a man has to know his limitations. After some meditation and soul searching, I didn't want to waste their time or mine. There was even a girl involved who sweetened the deal, but...sigh. In the end I like expansive views and need to live at least near a mile high if not over.

·
Dirty Old Man
1,073 Posts
I lived in Pensacola and Jacksonville. My 100mm FS 29er was fine. The roots made the FS worth it. Of course, if I was moving back there today I'd likely opt for a 27.5 short travel FS or a mullet bike.

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts
My rigid steel commuter. I'd slowly do less and less mtb until i gave it up entirely.

If there were interesting dirt roads and a cool scene i might get in to that.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.