Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
spec4life???..smh...
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Iv been running 1X8 for the past couple seasons and really like it..aside from the chain drop. I currently have a ngear jumpstop and bashguard which works well but not great. My last race however I dropped my chain over 20 times on a very rocky trail in West Virginia.

So now Im looking for a better solution. I have been looking at the MRP 1x and E13 XCX. Is anyone using either of these??and do they completely stop chain drop?

I like the looks of the E13 the best but im worried about the chain rubbing since my setup is 1x8. Do you think I would have any problem with rubbing the sides of either guide??

Thanks for any help..

·
Content from my avatar
4,355 Posts
Take 7 of those gears off the back too. Tension the chain properly, and you'll never drop a chain again. :thumbsup:

·
M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
8,609 Posts
If you don’t mind having a bunch of mechanical drag, and hauling around an extra 3.9 pounds, then a Shimano Alfine 8-speed IGH will work… and the chain shouldn’t ever come off.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've been running widgets on all my bikes for 18 months and haven't had a single chain drop. The product is fantastic although i have seen some bad customer service reports on mtbr but you wont have the problem if you buy from chaingang.com.au I'm pretty sure it is the only retail store who sells them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My understanding is that there is 2 separate parts to Chain Gang the motorcycle department has been around forever owned by Paul but the bike shop is relatively new and owned by his son Chris. I could be wrong about that but it is my lbs and that is my impression talking to the guy in the shop.

·
Custom User Title
7,430 Posts
I use MRP, and it works, but if I was to buy a new one, I would do E.13. Better adjustments, nicer cage, no gaudy giant letters on it.

I use it with 1x10 and 11-36 rear cassette, and I do not see how I can drop the chain.

·
spec4life???..smh...
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the help guys..

The widget looks interesting but to expensive and just...well not my kind of thing

Somehow the chain still manages to slip in between the jumpstop and the chainring and make it even more of a hassle to get the chain back on in the middle of a race..I dont know if it bends the not so heavy duty metal on the stop back or what but it gets down in there somehow..

·
Trying to be helpful
2,550 Posts
simple solution get a chainguide - mrp, gamut, e13, straitline all make great guides, you wll never drop a chain again.

Widgets are stin and bend easily, do a search its been documented. Nothing, I repeat, NOTHING aside from a full guide can guarantee with 99% certainty that you will never drop a chain. Ive been using a system 3 mrp for many years and never lost a chain.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.