Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My GF recently quit (well almost) smoking. She has gone from like 6-8 a day, to 1 a day if that. I am very proud of her and have been encouraging her all the way. The thing is, now she is starting to gain some weight. It is not a ton, but is definately obvious. It doesn't really bother me, but I can tell it is bothering her alot. She is obsessed over it. We hike every weekend usually, and she takes walks before work 3-4 days a week for about an hour.
Question is, how do I approach this with her? Or try to help her? I know "weight" is a very sensitive area, but I definately don't want her to go back to smoking. Is this a temporary weight gain you think?

Thoughts?

thanks

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok well

that's the thing, she BRINGS me into it "do i look fat?" "am I heavier now then when we met?" etc etc etc. Trust me, I would like nothing better then to stay out of it, she drags me into it sometimes though. Kind of hard to know what to say.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
loose the weight !!

well, I don't know formica. The last time I saw you at 24hr race, you look great but I see you recently gain substantial weight. You got to loose all the weight babe !! :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Picard said:
consult your doctor to deal with weight gain issue of your GF. Weight gain is common problem for women who quit smoking.
Just curious...is this a common problem only for women who quit smoking Picard? Men who quit smoking don't gain weight? I wonder why he asked this is a women's forum....
And I am guessing that he rides a bike so that's why he us at this website right? So rather than worrying about her recent weight gain, ask her to ride with you. Maybe all she needs is a boost in exercise regimen.
A mountain bike ride would be preferable :D

·
life is a barrel o'fun
2,502 Posts
wtf?!

Troll alert.

As if Jean-Luc was some kind of prize. Hey, formica's not the one crying in the ladies' lounge about not being able to find a date, she's not the one with a problem.

·
No more slogans!
79 Posts
Wtf...

Picard said:
well, I don't know formica. The last time I saw you at 24hr race, you look great but I see you recently gain substantial weight. You got to loose all the weight babe !! :eek: :eek:
Is that supposed to be a joke or something?

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
formica said:
myob
if she wants your input, she'll ask for it.
I'm confused ... weren't you the one who just started a thread beyotching about this not being a relationship advice forum?

:confused:

*Pssst* ... formica: I have an idea: If you really really don't like these kinds of threads, don't read or respond to them. You shouldn't have trouble picking one out of the other 75,000 that are more biking exclusive, and I assume, to your liking. But to suggest you don't like them, that they're inappropriate, and then immediately actively participate in them in exact spot you called foul in a few hours before, well that's just maddening. And stereotypically female.

So cut it out. That kind of silly sh*t gives even even non-biking women a bad name.

Whew. I feel better now.

·
L1MEY
1,487 Posts
Maybe she just needs a different fitness regime. Did she take walks before work before she quit smoking? If so, then that's the problem... her fitness level is that same only she's not smoking any more. Otherwise, she probably just needs a more intensive workout than walking. Does she ride? Riding or jogging would burn off a lot more energy than walking. If she's not into biking, maybe you could both start something together... rollerblading maybe? Or how about you both decide to enter a half marathon or something and concentrate on training. If you collectively make the training about something other than losing weight, she won't feel so bad about it.

- Jen.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
RMG said:
Just curious...is this a common problem only for women who quit smoking Picard? Men who quit smoking don't gain weight? I wonder why he asked this is a women's forum....
And I am guessing that he rides a bike so that's why he us at this website right? So rather than worrying about her recent weight gain, ask her to ride with you. Maybe all she needs is a boost in exercise regimen.
A mountain bike ride would be preferable :D
It is medical fact that women who quit smoking tend to gain weight immediately. I can't remember the details of medical report.

·
the bomb
531 Posts
you're a tool

no offense, but seriously.

You don't even respond to biking related threads. You spend all of you time on the policatal boards and talking crap.

I bet you don't even have a bike :p

whew, I feel better now

·
Banned
6,057 Posts
Picard said:
It is medical fact that women who quit smoking tend to gain weight immediately. I can't remember the details of medical report.
It's a medical fact that people who quit smoking tend to gain weight. Maybe women gain faster or more than men, I don't know, but the phenomonon is well-known for both sexes.

Heck, I know it from personal experience! :D

·
the bomb
531 Posts
make it so dr.

Christine said:
As if Jean-Luc was some kind of prize. ]
I read this book once, can't remember what it was called. Anyway, the woman in this book woorked in a wig shop. She had recently broken up with here boyfriend. One day, who should come into the shop but her ex's new lady with a friend. She was looking for a mid length red wig.

Wanting to get the dirt on her ex, the woman listened in on the new girlfriend as she was trying on the wig. She was buying the wig because her boyfriend liked to pretend the he was Jean-Luc and she was Dr. Crusher. Apparently he was really into it, and during sex would say things like "Make it so Dr."

I laughted so hard I almost died trying to picture this scenario.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I'm not a lady, but...

Shwaa said:
My GF recently quit (well almost) smoking. She has gone from like 6-8 a day, to 1 a day if that. I am very proud of her and have been encouraging her all the way. The thing is, now she is starting to gain some weight. It is not a ton, but is definately obvious. It doesn't really bother me, but I can tell it is bothering her alot. She is obsessed over it. We hike every weekend usually, and she takes walks before work 3-4 days a week for about an hour.
Question is, how do I approach this with her? Or try to help her? I know "weight" is a very sensitive area, but I definately don't want her to go back to smoking. Is this a temporary weight gain you think?

Thoughts?

thanks
I quit smoking about 6 months ago. Tell her not to worry about possible weight gain - the important thing is to focus on quitting smoking. Once that's under control, then she can focus on the weight. Tell her that she can't fight a battle on more than one front right now. Once she's pretty confident she's done with smoking, then start worrying about weight gain.

For the first two months after I quit, I otherwise went about my business as usual. By the Holidays, I was pretty close to the heaviest I've ever been, and in the last 4 months or so I've dropped about 25 pounds. I haven't been in better shape in 10 years.

In the meantime, I'd listen to what someone else recommended here - take her out on the bike. The aerobic activity will definitely help her stay motivated to stay away from smoking. Now's a good time for her to focus on the fun part, and not the fitness part. Once she's hooked, she'll want to get in shape, and the post-smoking weight gain will come right off. Then you'll have a buff, non-smoking GF dragging your sorry butt up the mountains.... :D

You might also remind her that whatever weight she gains (which won't be much from the sounds of it) isn't nearly as detrimental as the damage smoking is doing to her body. Encouragement is the key, bro.

PS - Sorry for lurking in the women's forum. I promise I didn't see anything. :D

·
Glue Sniffer
553 Posts
I was opposite of the norm when I quit smoking. The only way to deal with nic-fits was to exercise. So, I started biking regularly after work (and eventually stopped spitting up lung pudding). I did pushups whenever I got antzy. And I started kickboxing because...well, because I like to kick stuff.

So, the end result was that I dropped a lot of weight off of my already slender frame. Freaky family members started to ask me about my "weight problem" like I was anorexic. My boss at work asked if anything was wrong. Even the dude at the 7-11 was like, "You so skinny, you don't eat?".

"Dude, I'm buying a Red Bull and a bag of Cheetos".

It was sorta weird. Then I started getting paranoid about looking boney. And then I just said "**** it".

I y'am what I y'am.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.