Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm heading up to the Tahoe/ Truckee area this Saturday for what was supposed to be a skiing/boarding trip. However, from what I've heard there is no snow. I was wondering if it would be better to just snowboard at places that make snow, or if I should bring my bike. Are most of the trails still ridable or are they covered?

·
rider
2,356 Posts
Take your bike. According to my buddy who lives there, you have to get above 8k' to see much snow at all. Below 7k' he assures me that there is almost no snow at all to be found anywhere.

29erchico

·
Registered
552 Posts
2nd Hand Report

I got a voice mail from my riding buddy who lives in Truckee. He said that there was very little snow, and that many of the trails were snow free. However, he said that the moisture in the soil from the snow that had melted has created what he called "permafrost". He said that he tried to ride and that the soil, with this permafrost, was very mucky and pretty much unrideable. Not exactly sure what he meant by this, just relaying his message. Let us know what you find!

·
Registered
32 Posts
TRT North Tahoe covered

I was out hiking on the Rim Trail this past weekend. I did Tahoe City to Brockway Summit and it was almost entirely snow-covered. The snow line started just below 7000' coming from Tahoe City and existed the entire way to Brockway. There isn't too much riding in any elevations below this - Flume Trail, TRT in South Lake, Mr. Toad's is probably all covered. Your best bet for riding this weekend is heading over to Auburn or into the Reno/Carson valleys. Emigrant may be clear???

It sucks but we are in that transition time where both the snowsports and the mountain biking suck equally.

·
Bicyclochondriac.
15,210 Posts
SBDHrida said:
I'm heading up to the Tahoe/ Truckee area this Saturday for what was supposed to be a skiing/boarding trip. However, from what I've heard there is no snow. I was wondering if it would be better to just snowboard at places that make snow, or if I should bring my bike. Are most of the trails still ridable or are they covered?
I think trails like Emigrant are open, but I live at 7,000 feet and there is snow here. Any of the really good trails (Hole in the Ground, TRT, Flume, Stanford Rock, Mr. Toads) are totally unridable right now. The resorts are open. While it is not stellar, the skiing/boarding is better than the biking right now. On the other hand, things are great an hour away down in the foothills (Auburn, Nevada City).

·
Now with flavor!!
5,613 Posts
Emmigrant trail, loyd's, JP, Jackass are all ridable. Some flatter stuff in martis valley is too. These are all in Truckee. Riding on peavine in reno is good.

There's been a wierd inversion going on up here so Truckee has been under fog/clouds in the morning making the trails frozen. Fast but sketchy in a few spots with frozen condensation on the rocks.

I live in Kings Beach and have yet to touch my skis. Been digging on our dirt jumps every weekend instead.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.