Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
I had many hardtails, I tried a heckler and ride almost all the time with my bullit, with a 3 years old 5th element that supposed to be not as plush as the new dhx's, but for my is very pluch...I dont like the fork to be to stiff in the rear end so I dont put so much air on it.
My bullit is plush, but now Im thinking to get a vpp.

·
BrassBalled DropbarNinja
11,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hmmm... i think i might need a new shock... mine right now absorb the big stuff really well but not plush enough for the smaller stuff... It's a Manitou Metel RP... I've got the platform all the way to the - side already. Maybe i should save up for a DHX???

·
= dirt torpedo =
1,210 Posts
if you are that light make sure that you have correct spring for your weight on the shock, make sure your preload and sag are set correctly. If it's an air chamber assisted shock, make sure that your air pressure isn't too high and isn't affecting your compression damping. Check your rebound as well...

after setting all these up correctly you should get maximum plushness out of your shock.

·
BrassBalled DropbarNinja
11,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
blender said:
if you are that light make sure that you have correct spring for your weight on the shock, make sure your preload and sag are set correctly. If it's an air chamber assisted shock, make sure that your air pressure isn't too high and isn't affecting your compression damping. Check your rebound as well...

after setting all these up correctly you should get maximum plushness out of your shock.
i've already got all of that dialed in already and it's still not plush... was thinking of getting one of those Swinger 6 Ways on Santacruz website... how do they fair agains the DHX 5.0 and the Marzocchi Roco TST R? Which ones are plusher?

·
Registered
790 Posts
Maybe a new thread needed

Just a suggestion, but I think you might get better/ more valuable response if you posted this again under a title something like "Lightweight riders - 120 pounds- plush shock?"

I know I and many others that might check out this thread will be no help at all, being fat sons of bit%$&s...

One quick two cents that might be of some use- I found my 6" SP to not be so plush on the small stuff due to the "lockout" effect of pedaling force. You may want to try a horst or one of the four bar linkage bikes to start with a more "active" suspension system at your weight?

·
BrassBalled DropbarNinja
11,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
heavyg said:
Just a suggestion, but I think you might get better/ more valuable response if you posted this again under a title something like "Lightweight riders - 120 pounds- plush shock?"

I know I and many others that might check out this thread will be no help at all, being fat sons of bit%$&s...

One quick two cents that might be of some use- I found my 6" SP to not be so plush on the small stuff due to the "lockout" effect of pedaling force. You may want to try a horst or one of the four bar linkage bikes to start with a more "active" suspension system at your weight?
yeah... thats makes sense... thanx for the suggestion. Could you post on why a fourbar is more sensitive??? I had the impression that a Single Pivot would be more sensitive...

http://forums.mtbr.com/newthread.php

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
Cuss, I think I get what you're trying to get at...sorry for the "Cuss" handle, but your name is way too long for me type.:D Anyway, I feel that the Bullit is oddly sensitive to how much and where the platform is dialed into the rear suspension and perhaps your SP is similar. On one hand I think the Bullit and many longer travel SP bikes really benefit from a platform when you get the 8.5 X 2.5 or bigger rear shock setup, but if it's not at the right place, the ride is annoyingly harsh right where you want it plush. I realize that's not an ideal engineering explanation, but maybe here's where I can clarify it.

I had a 5th E coil on two Bullits, and they worked great. The two compression adjusters really let you dial in good control without killing plushness. I got a couple of different length DHX coils (8.5 and 8.75), and there was always a mid-stroke harshness that I hated enough to sell off both of those shocks. No amount of BV chamber size and pressure fiddling removed it and neither did spring rate. The Bullit seems sensitive to the mid-stroke characteristics of a given shock. On the other hand, and oddly, the DHX Air works fairly well on a Bullit IMO because it has a soft mid-stroke with a good ramp up at end of stroke. It still has enough pedal platform to keep the Bullit useable for all-around trail use too. Remember, this is "my" observation and preference. We all realize there are many factors that come into play to affect each individual's likes and needs. However, I get the impression that you're experiencing that same slight annoying harshness that I did.

Your comment on considering the Manitou 6-Way coil may have some merit because it is a platform shock like I feel the Bullit and other long travel SL bikes benefit from, but it has the two adjustable compression knobs for super tuning. In fact IMO the 6-Way coil is the clone of the 5th E coil. You can set the pedal platform to your liking and then tweak the beginning and ending compression adjusters to get it exactly where you want it. At your weight I think you'll still want a platform, but you'll also want to be able to dial the compression down a good dea to maintain compliance. Not many shocks allow this on the compression. If you already had a DHX coil, I'd recommend getting a Race System PUSH for you and your bike, as I feel they are able to really set up a shock for a situation with a really light rider and get rid of that annoying mid-stroke deal as it applies to some long travel SP models. But, you'd be looking at some real bucks if you don't already have the shock.

In summary I'd think you still want a pedal platform shock but one with some ability to tune the compression, mainly due to your weight. There aren't many that have both features. The 6-Way coil does.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Get the 6-way

by far the cheapest way to go. It will allow you to dial in the suspension feeling that you want. You will need a fairly light spring for your weight, tho.

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
Hmmm, Damion....that's a good point about the spring. He's going to need a very light one. For aggressive trail, no FR, I ran a 325lb. on my Bullit at my 185lb. weight. I only used a 350 occasionally for more aggressive riding but still could have gotten by with the 325 by dialing in a little more ending compression and reduced bottomout chamber. It was easier to just swap springs and leave my preferred settings alone. A little spring goes a long way on a 5th and Manitou SPV shock. Looks like 250lbs. is the lowest that they offer.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
250? Yikes

Continuing on that line of thinking, what is the spring on teh Metal now? was that covered?

Are the Metal and Swinger springs the same?

He may have to get the Swinger with a 250 spring, and wear a pack full of rocks while growing.

I run a 550 on a 7.875x2.25 5th coil, on a Gemini set at 6" but I am twice the weight of the OP geared up.

·
BrassBalled DropbarNinja
11,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanx for the explanation guys... i also read the link keen sent me on falling and rising rates and i think i've got a falling rate suspension. I'm right now running a 350 spring on my metel rp and no i'm not going to go any lower then that... i'm bottoming out on some jumps and drops as it is... As for the Swinger, is there a way to adjust it's progressiveness? like soft in the beginning and then stiffen up towards the middle like air shocks do??? or do i need a progressive(not the company) to do that?

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
Cuss, that's the point of the 6-Way...more adjustability. It has beginning and ending compression adjustments which should result in being able to dial in more progressivity for your bike. And you just can't assume you won't run a lighter spring because the damping is going to be fairly different between those two shocks. I hadn't looked at the Metal shock before, but it looks pretty basic, and indeed some of the lack of progressivity may be a result of that shock along with your suspension design. The 6-Way will give you higher quality damping and more tuning capability. It should be a very noticeable improvement from what you're running.

The 6-Way has a pedal platform adjustment, a bottomout adjustment, a low and high speed compression adjustment, a rebound adjustment, spring rate adjustment, and spring preload adjustment. Is that enough adjustment for you?:D

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.