Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Outcast
8,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in search of some tires. I have for years used tioga factory dh 2.3's as my trail riding/xc tires. I like the thickness of the sidewalls and that they are just around 1000 grams. Lately I just tried tioga's yellow kirin, it's quite similar to the factory's, but with stickier rubber. After one month the outside knobs are starting to chunk out.
So I've been looking for a tire with a similar sidewall thickness and weight at or under 1000 grams. The kenda blue groove and nevegals sound nice but I've heard that the sidewalls are quite thin [the one ply versions]. Maxxis minions and hansventures in one ply sound interesting, but I have no idea what their sidewalls are like. Do you have any suggestions for a large tire with decent sidewalls at 1000 grams or less? I ride in loose rocky conditions in colorado. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
If you want DH casings no "one-ply" tire will satisfy you. The Maxxis 2.35s are much smaller than the Tiogas. You might look at the Schwalbes with Double Defense casings. Or just go back to the Tioga Factory DHs.

·
Outcast
8,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for responding Shiggy. I don't want to go back to the tiogas; as much as I like their casing, for my riding conditions I experience way too much drift and slide cornering. I'm going to try a pair of maxxis minion single ply's. I did see one at the LBS this weekend, and yes the casing is much thinner, I'm hoping for improved cornering performance. I use the dh versions on my other wheelset; I hope some of the favorable characteristics of those tires carry over to their thin skinned brother.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Minion experiences???

Renegade said:
Thanks for responding Shiggy. I don't want to go back to the tiogas; as much as I like their casing, for my riding conditions I experience way too much drift and slide cornering. I'm going to try a pair of maxxis minion single ply's. I did see one at the LBS this weekend, and yes the casing is much thinner, I'm hoping for improved cornering performance. I use the dh versions on my other wheelset; I hope some of the favorable characteristics of those tires carry over to their thin skinned brother.
Did you get the Minion? If so, how do you like them? These are the only tires that I am really drawn to for local conditions that I have not yet tried. I'd love to hear your feedback!

Rollin'

·
Outcast
8,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rollin'in'Zona said:
Did you get the Minion? If so, how do you like them? These are the only tires that I am really drawn to for local conditions that I have not yet tried. I'd love to hear your feedback!

Rollin'
Wow, here's an old thread I had forgotton about. Yes, I bought the minion single ply casing 2.35 tires. They actually measure about 2.25, but, size doesn't matter here. These are the best trail riding/xc tires that I've ever had. They're reasonably light, they grip well in a variety of situations, any drift is predictable and is minimal, and they wear very well [slowly]. I ended up getting them from universal cycles for about 24 bucks each. I bought a front and a rear [some dh riders buy just fronts for that application]. I highly recomend them.

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
Renegade said:
Wow, here's an old thread I had forgotton about. Yes, I bought the minion single ply casing 2.35 tires. They actually measure about 2.25, but, size doesn't matter here. These are the best trail riding/xc tires that I've ever had. They're reasonably light, they grip well in a variety of situations, any drift is predictable and is minimal, and they wear very well [slowly]. I ended up getting them from universal cycles for about 24 bucks each. I bought a front and a rear [some dh riders buy just fronts for that application]. I highly recomend them.
The Maxxis "single-ply" tires do have a durable sidewall compaired to most other, hence their heavier weight. The Minions were the tires I liked the least in their line-up. I thought the breaking was poor, cornering was inpredictable and forget riding them anytime it is wet. IMO...The Mobster is a much better front tire and the Highroller for the rear.

·
Outcast
8,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess I should have included in my post my riding conditions, since tires perform very differently in different environments, as you can see from SSinga's and my different experiences with this tire. I live and ride in Colorado. generally dry, rocky, loose conditions. I note from his bio that SSINGA lives near Atlanta; I don't know what the terrain is like. Perhaps that may account for some of the difference?

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
Renegade said:
I guess I should have included in my post my riding conditions, since tires perform very differently in different environments, as you can see from SSinga's and my different experiences with this tire. I live and ride in Colorado. generally dry, rocky, loose conditions. I note from his bio that SSINGA lives near Atlanta; I don't know what the terrain is like. Perhaps that may account for some of the difference?
SSinGA would love to live and ride in CO but just not financially feasable right now. Just in case I'm saving my Minions for when that time comes. The terrain here is generally very hard packed clay and most of the rock is solid rock. The only thing loose on the trails here is pine straw and the ocassional sandy section.

A side note - The Tioga 2.3DH tires work well here if you run the front tread parttern both front and rear.

I wasn't trying to dog your tire selection Renegade:cool: your posts describe you as quite a large dude and frankly your Avitar scares me.;)

·
Outcast
8,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
SSINGA said:
I wasn't trying to dog your tire selection Renegade:cool: your posts describe you as quite a large dude and frankly your Avitar scares me.;)
Ha ha! Think nothing of it. I know you weren't dissing my tires!! :cool:
Yea, I should change my avatar; I'm really a nice guy :p really!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts