Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I have just finished building the frame. Bought New, from a doctor who never had time to build it.

just as i was getting to the trail head after a 25 minute of climbing, Just thinking of how cool the downhill should be (first ride on the bike ) I hear a bad noise.. then i cant move the pedals!

The rear mech (sram X7 2 months old) broke and got to the spokes and The drop out was 100%.

It happened just as i was climbing a steep rocky section. It did not hit anything but i did notice unwanted gear shifting before that on other rocky stuff. maybe its related?

I cant realized how the mech broke and the drop out didnt?

3 years riding my enduro and never even replaced derailer hanger.:rolleyes:

Anyone had this before? anyone has an idea what could have caused it so ill know for next time?

I attached pictures... it would be nice to hear what you think... If i cant ride it... at least ill have that ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Yeah - your chain is probably too short. Take the shock off and cycle the suspension in "big/big" This is a very common mistake for peopel building up a VPP bike after having run a FSR or the like where chain growth is so much more.

·
Banned
7,171 Posts
I'm w/ GTI.
Looking at your pics, I can see it totally is on the short side.
When I set up a 3x9, I drop the chain in the middle everywhere and line up the rear mech's pulley centers to be vertical via chain length. Your 1st pic shows the pulleys are already fwd while you're in the lower half of the stack, and it looks like you have a 11-34? That rear mech's arm will be like a vagina passing an 18lbs baby!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got it installed by a top mechanic and a superb rider! Do you think he should have seen it? advise me to replace the chain?

by the way its was a long cage. the next one will be medium.

Its was a standard chain how could it not fit? what am i missing here guys?

Thanks for helping BTW

·
Banned
7,171 Posts
enduroXtreme said:
I got it installed by a top mechanic and a superb rider! Do you think he should have seen it? advise me to replace the chain?

by the way its was a long cage. the next one will be medium.

Its was a standard chain how could it not fit? what am i missing here guys?

Thanks for helping BTW
Do you know how many links were removed from the new chain? When I did mine, I pulled ~ 5 links (outer + inner = 1 link) off of a fresh Dura Ace 7700 9 spd chain. And, I use a X0 med cage rear mech.

I'm on a 2x9 (34/22 rings) setup w/ a 11-34T stack out back. So, when I lined up the pulleys on the rear mech like I described above w/ the chain on the 34T ring and middle of that 11-34T stack, the 5 links removed resulted in a chain I felt was a bit on the short side for the 34T ring to 34T rear cog with that med cage mech. This judgement was made w/ me on the bike @ 30% sag. Perhaps your guy forgot that Nomads have chain growth...?

BTW, my Nomad is a lrg MK1.

PS - I'm finishing up a BLTc build, also w/ a med cage mech. When I do the chain, I'm going to pull the shock, get that lower link to it's max dist from the BB (horizontal?), hold it here while I do the pulley alignment trick. It'll be a 2x9 (34/22) w/ 11-34T stack again. It would be interesting to see how many links I pull out in comparison to the Nomad.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Hey Pau11ly,

Congrats on the BLTc....

From what we saw yesterday at the shop the rear meachs material was tired. it was white at the tear zone.

I installed a fresh 2011 med cage X7 With a fresh chain, and we measured the chain growth. i was only charged for parts with discount, and was not charged for labor.

No doubt the new setup looks better than the previous tighter set up.

Today a test ride in the desert... =)

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok guys... so im back from the desert...

We were riding an amazing trail called "sugar trail" an ancient road used to deliver sugar to the old market in jerusalem. The nomad was a sheer joy to ride both uphill and downhill.. so much different than my enduro... the vpp is WAY better for my opinion than the fsr i had.. I'M IN LOVE with this white beauty. :D

I added 2 pictures of the old enduro, and one of the new chainline. about the chain length... i dont know.. its an out of the box stock shimano. non links added.. maybe just a quick link. remember the old one was long cage 2010 nd this one is the 2011 medium cage.

there are no pictures from today yet.. but last week a couple of guys filmed it using go pro.. here is the link:

SUGAR TRAIL - ISRAEL

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.