Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
BGR / MCM #311
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering the 06 DeeMax's and they're UST and wanted to know... If you crack a nipple (...and we all know how painful that can be!!!) how do you go about replacement since the rim has no nipple access from the outside of the rim...or maybe it does and that's what I'm missing??

Just wondering... I won't be running tubeless if I get them, I ain't fighting with having to put sealant and crap in the tire. I'll be running "yes-tubes"!!

·
viva la v-brakes!
2,440 Posts
I can't answer your primary question as it appears that the DeeMax are designed a bit different then then XM819 rims I run (which require a special tool, but you can replace spokes without taking the tire off).

I just wanted to clear up a misconception you seem to have about sealant and UST. You don't need sealant with UST rims and UST compatable tubeless tires. You can use sealant if you want to as insurance, just like you can run Slime in your tubes as insurance, but sealant is not necessary.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
FishMan473 said:
...I just wanted to clear up a misconception you seem to have about sealant and UST. You don't need sealant with UST rims and UST compatable tubeless tires. You can use sealant if you want to as insurance, just like you can run Slime in your tubes as insurance, but sealant is not necessary.
and you can use standard tires with inner tubes on UST rims.

·
BGR / MCM #311
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
aaahhh.....*light bulb flickers momentarily over head*

Thanks for that bit of info!! I'll still, most likely, run tubes. I was always under the impression that you needed sealant.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
fireboy said:
Considering the 06 DeeMax's and they're UST and wanted to know... If you crack a nipple (...and we all know how painful that can be!!!) how do you go about replacement since the rim has no nipple access from the outside of the rim...or maybe it does and that's what I'm missing??

Just wondering... I won't be running tubeless if I get them, I ain't fighting with having to put sealant and crap in the tire. I'll be running "yes-tubes"!!
The nipple or nipple cup threads into the rim from the outside. Do not even have to remove the tire to replace a nipple or spoke. Good luck finding an LBS with the parts in stock, though.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
fireboy said:

Thanks for that bit of info!! I'll still, most likely, run tubes. I was always under the impression that you needed sealant.
Sealant can give added puncture protection with UST tires. Most UST tires will lose air more slowly than a tubed tire with a thorn puncture especially if you leave the thorn in the tire.

·
I live to bike
2,450 Posts
fireboy said:

In my experience, you usually still do need sealant. I've used UST tires on my 819 UST rims, but it needed sealant, or it leaked air slowly. so, you may not NEED sealant, but then you will need to add air every ride. (I always check, but once sealant has been added, almost never actuallly have to add air.)

·
Sugary Exoskeleton
4,657 Posts
2004 (silver rim) DeeMax uses the system Shiggy describes. I am pretty sure the nipple is just a standard 14g long brass nipple, so you should be able to reuse the NippleCup(TM)

2005 I think they go to FORE drilling, which means a special nipple threads directly into the rim, no Cup. Crossmax SL, XL, Ksyrium, Ksyrium ES all use this system. I haven't seen a 2005 DeeMax up close to see if it uses the same FORE nipple as those other wheels, but I imagine it does? I have a pair on order, I will hopefully know soon! :)

JMH

fireboy said:
Thanks for the info, shigs!!

·
BGR / MCM #311
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
JMH said:
I have a pair on order, I will hopefully know soon!
Gimme an update here when you can, eh?? Greatly appreciated! I'm also interested if Mavic is lying about the weights...lol.

·
viva la v-brakes!
2,440 Posts
fireboy said:
Gimme an update here when you can, eh?? Greatly appreciated! I'm also interested if Mavic is lying about the weights...lol.
Oh, don't get me started on Mavic lying about weight. Bought some XM 819's last year, 465 g claimed weight, a little portly for racing rims, but acceptable. Claimed weight didn't include the necessary nipple cups. Actual weight: 505 grams! My new race wheels weigh 100 grams more EACH then my old ones. I'm pissed. Why can't they make these things lighter?

Anyhow, I got started. Weight shouldn't be too big a deal for a DH wheelset, right?

·
Sugary Exoskeleton
4,657 Posts
Weight

Well, a 2.5 pound DH front wheel is generally easier to control, flick and accelerate than a 2.75 pound front wheel, so weight-watching still applies... :) Plus, if you have a light wheel, maybe you can afford to run a beefier tire or tube.

WeightWeenies lists the 2003 Deemax as Claimed: 2310g Actual: 2425g... over 100g off. Not so good, eh? For 2006 they claim 2447 for a wheel that is very different from the 2003 model. Again, I will weigh them when I get them.

Here is a more detailed shot of the FORE nipple "cupless" design.

JMH

FishMan473 said:
Oh, don't get me started on Mavic lying about weight. Bought some XM 819's last year, 465 g claimed weight, a little portly for racing rims, but acceptable. Claimed weight didn't include the necessary nipple cups. Actual weight: 505 grams! My new race wheels weigh 100 grams more EACH then my old ones. I'm pissed. Why can't they make these things lighter?

Anyhow, I got started. Weight shouldn't be too big a deal for a DH wheelset, right?

Attachments

·
BGR / MCM #311
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'll be using these as my "all arounders" on my Coiler. I use that bike for everything from all day rides to aggressive XC to Intermediate FR and novice/intermediate DH races. So, yeah, weight is still a bit of an issue...to get "down" around here you gotsta go "up". I'd like them to be the same wieght if not a hair lighter than what I have now...and that won't be tough to beat!

XT rear - 14 straight guage spokes and Singletrack - rear
Kona no name 20mm hub - 14 straight guage spokes and Singletrack - front

they're heavy and they won't stay true for anything...

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
fireboy said:
I'll be using these as my "all arounders" on my Coiler. I use that bike for everything from all day rides to aggressive XC to Intermediate FR and novice/intermediate DH races. So, yeah, weight is still a bit of an issue...to get "down" around here you gotsta go "up". I'd like them to be the same wieght if not a hair lighter than what I have now...and that won't be tough to beat!

XT rear - 14 straight guage spokes and Singletrack - rear
Kona no name 20mm hub - 14 straight guage spokes and Singletrack - front

they're heavy and they won't stay true for anything...
You must be hard on wheels. I have beat the heck out of my stock Coiler DL wheels (same build) and they are fine. I did re-tension the wheels before the first ride - loosened the spokes a couple of turns, stressed the spokes, trued and brought the tension back up, maybe a bit higher than stock.

Built a lighter wheelset of trail rides a few months ago.

·
BGR / MCM #311
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
shiggy said:
You must be hard on wheels.
Two local DH races and a couple of runs at Keystone this year on that bike plus lots of drops (human sized), urban, etc... I broke my 6th, 7th, and 8th spokes of the season two weeks ago. I didn't completely untension then retension the wheels when I got the bike. I did check for true and check (roughly) for proper tension by doing the ol' spoke cross squeeze a few times around the wheel while truing....didn't notice any pairs that were much tighter or sloppier than any others. I did back all the tension off and redo the whole shootin' match after I broke the first three spokes on the rear wheel. The spokes have all broken at the hub flange. Drive side and non drive have all gone...and two of them were up front. I think the DeeMax's or a set of King/Hadley hubs with some Mavic 321's will be an all around better wheelset. Probably lighter and more reliable than what came stock. The only other thing I can think of is to buy new DT spokes and relace both wheels from scratch. But I just think going throug all that for XT and singletracks is a bit much....lol...can you say "winter upgraditis"???

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.