Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't want to ask my riding buddies these questions so I figured why not ask the anonymous internet forums.
Q1 Do you cube yourself a lot while dropping off of the back of your saddle?
I seem to crash less often compared to my peers but I seem to crash maybe once a week in a cubing type incident/accident. So if anyone else has my problem what do you do about it? I already have my seat jammed as far forward as she will go.
Q2 I have been riding bikes seriously since I was maybe 14 but I still don't have a solution as to where to put me junk while in the saddle. Not normally a big deal while MTBing but when you sit down for a long time on the trainer things can get uncomfortable. I figure this is something that roadies would know about maybe even talk about.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Q1: set your seat for proper riding position. Just be careful when going behind the seat
Q2: pulled up and forward. It is just part of riding. It is particularly fun when you have a vasectomy.

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
I think saddle selection makes a big difference.

I started with a solid saddle and it hurt my tailbone and base of dick.

So I went to a 143mm wide Avatar saddle (split down the middle). Great for the tailbone and dick. Still had to be very careful coming forward.

Today I tried buddies 131 mm wide Selle Italian XO (no split). Hurt the base of the dick. But alot better coming forward cause its narrower, but I need the split.

I think I'll buy a 131 mm Specialized Alias, if the 131mm works for a week or so.

I will also save 100 g of weight??

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sonicsuby said:
Does cubing mean hitting your stuff on the seat when you move back forward? :confused:
Yes, around here getting cubed means taking a hit in the nuts, but it may be a colloquialism.
Basically when I drop back for a steep section sometimes things get caught and pain results but mostly it is when I am coming back up that I tag myself (the going forward one seems to hurt less than the dropping back) :eek:

·
Fermented Grain Sampler
clinking clanking clattering collection of collagenous junk
4,168 Posts
You're cubing yourself weekly? :eekster: :cryin: :eekster: :cryin: :eekster: :cryin:
Sounds like there's a technique issue involved somewhere. Getting nailed going off the back and coming back onto the saddle? Good grief. :nonod: :yikes:
Lower the saddle more vs just moving it forward. Maybe a Gravity Dropper is something to look into. Also, good liners in baggies or bike shorts helps package things properly.
Only time I've tagged myself is a badly timed slip off the pedals or a nasty crash. And those are far and few between.

·
Out there
2,298 Posts
Good god, get some bike shorts already!

I whacked my nuts for the first time ever last week, because I hadn't dropped my saddle going for a downhill. Note to self -- drop saddle an inch when going offroad.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I second the idea of trying different seats. I was having numbness on medium length rides and started trying different seats. Specialized has a foam pad you can sit on to measure your butt-bone width to choose the right size seat. I ended up buying a new specialized seat for each bike since they worked so well for me.

It's amazing how well the correct size seat can affect things.

·
Advanced Slacker
15,409 Posts
walrasian said:
I didn't want to ask my riding buddies these questions so I figured why not ask the anonymous internet forums.
Q1 Do you cube yourself a lot while dropping off of the back of your saddle?
I seem to crash less often compared to my peers but I seem to crash maybe once a week in a cubing type incident/accident. So if anyone else has my problem what do you do about it? I already have my seat jammed as far forward as she will go.
Q2 I have been riding bikes seriously since I was maybe 14 but I still don't have a solution as to where to put me junk while in the saddle. Not normally a big deal while MTBing but when you sit down for a long time on the trainer things can get uncomfortable. I figure this is something that roadies would know about maybe even talk about.
You may want to try sliding the seat back rather than forwards. This may sound counterintuitive, but as you slide the seat back, you also end up lowering it as well to keep a consistent distance from the seat to the pedals.

Not sure what to say about junk placement, other than a pair of real bike shorts seem to take care of that for me.

·
Out there
2,298 Posts
No kidding. Never, ever, try to brake by putting your ass on the rear wheel.

Even accidentally.

The BEST thing that can happen is that your pants get ripped down and sucked into the chainstays as you slide out of control down the hill and crash into a tree, stopping your descent with your head, with your ass laid bare for the world to see.

That is the BEST thing.

Believe me, if that happens, you will send up a heartfelt prayer of thanks to whichever God you worship that it wasn't... worse.

Trust me on this.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
walrasian said:
Yes, around here getting cubed means taking a hit in the nuts, but it may be a colloquialism.
Basically when I drop back for a steep section sometimes things get caught and pain results but mostly it is when I am coming back up that I tag myself (the going forward one seems to hurt less than the dropping back) :eek:
Wear lycra shorts and lift your "goods," do not tuck.

Never heard of "cubing" either

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.