Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
✭✭✭
31 Posts
I'm riding a 2003 17" El Fuego on 3" rockers, a Fox Float RP3 and a Fox Float 100 RLC set at 100 with only a 5mm headset spacer and 3 degree, zero-rise bars (LP Composite B3)I keep the air pressure in both between 95 and 110psi - I weigh 155lbs. I originally set it up on a Manitou Black 80mm - I like a low profile but I felt the profile was too low with too much of my weight over the front wheel on descents...plus, the Float is such a nicer shock anyway. On very steep granniest-gear climbs the front wheel tends to slide around a bit, but it's still controllable.

I'll post pix to the set-up thread next week. I've been reading occasional threads in this forum over the years and use mtbr endlessly for components research, and signed on and joined today after riding Kenter and the Whoops and hearing that Canyon Back trail is in danger of being privatized. looky here (especially if you ride in SoCal):

http://www.canyonback.org/

·
SingleTrack Junkie
22 Posts
My Wife has an 01 Fuego set up with a Fox F100x Terralgic fork .She complained that the Front wheel Danced around on Steep climbs so I had my LBS put a spacer in the fork to Lower it to 80mm of Travel .Much better setup for her Like this .
My .02
db

·
✭✭✭
31 Posts
swapped to 4" rockers

I just swappped my El Fuego 3" rockers to 4" rockers with quad bearings. I'm still playing with the air volume in my RP3 to get a similar feel (so far I've increased it from 95 to 110 psi), but so far I really like the additional rocker length. It's much more comfortable and stable on rocky descents and the suspension bob on climbs seems ok, although I think I'll be happier with a little more psi in the rear shock...propedal on the RP3 is pretty good, but it's too bad they didn't just throw on a full lockout for long climbs. My bottom bracket sits about a quarter inch higher, and this change in geometry, although subtle, seems to balance the bike out better with the Float 100 RLC fork.

·
SingleTrack Junkie
22 Posts
What Year Fuego are you riding .My Wifes Bike is an 01 and I was told by Teresa at Ventana that the 4 inch Rockers from my 04 Salty will work on the Fuego but the Travel will not increase .Just curious
db

·
✭✭✭
31 Posts
dbitondo said:
What Year Fuego are you riding .My Wifes Bike is an 01 and I was told by Teresa at Ventana that the 4 inch Rockers from my 04 Salty will work on the Fuego but the Travel will not increase .Just curious
db
2003 17" El Fuego, bearings not bushings. I suppose the travel on the shaft doesn't actually "increase", as a 2" shaft is a 2" shaft no matter what your geometry is, but the leverage on the rear triangle feels significantly different. Talk to Sherwood, or email him, and I'm sure he can explain the exact physics to you. If you look deep in the forum archives there are threads on switching from 3" to 4".

·
Ventana Mountain Bikes
172 Posts
dbitondo said:
db
Travel will increase, but only by .15" (from 2.85" to 3" using our bearing Saltamontes rockers) as the leverage ratio on our bushing fuegos was 1.9:1, and the leverage ratio on our bearing Fuego frames is 1.5:1, and Saltamontes frames is 2.0:1. Your new travel would be 1.5"stroke x 2.0:1 leverage ratio=3.0" travel.

In the bushing models, we increased travel using the same rocker, by increasing the shock stroke from 1.5" to 2.0", now we do it using the same shock stroke, but changing the rockers from 1.5"1 to 2.0"1 leverage ratio. It's early, if this makes no sense, email me off line or call me and maybe I can explain better.

·
SingleTrack Junkie
22 Posts
Thanks Zippo and Sherwood for the Explanation .I'm going to Put 5 inch Rockers and a Romi Coil on my Salty so For Better or Worse , the Fuego will be getting the Bearings and 4 inch Rockers . She Loves the Fuego as it is now . She'll be happy no matter what I do to it .Thanks again
db

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.