Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I love my new 6.8 but I just blew the air shock. I am thinking about trying a DHX 5 coil on the 6.8 while Fox handles my waranty, but I noticed that Fox doese not advertise an 8.75 by 2.5 in the coil version of the DHX. I have an 8.75 by 2.75 DHX 5 coil in my hands. Do you happen to have any info on the wisdom of trying this setup? I calculate thay it will add about .5 inches of travel, and not change the geo. I am mainly concerned about something bottoming out or biniding on full compression.

I am going to race the bike this weekend. We have a pretty tame DH course.

Thanks for any help that you can give me.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Hey, not trying to speak for dw here (like I could ;) ) but Fox does offer the DHX 5.0 coil in an 8.75x2.5 - at least they do on their site. Also, I'm fairly certain you would get some contact using a 2.75 stroke shock - I've seen pics of mine bottomed and it looks like everything is pretty close. Good luck - I was wondering how a coil would feel. Oh yeah, I would assume it would need the "dw-link tune" from Fox.

·
on a routine expedition
1,585 Posts
Dogboy said:
Hey, not trying to speak for dw here (like I could ;) ) but Fox does offer the DHX 5.0 coil in an 8.75x2.5 - at least they do on their site. Also, I'm fairly certain you would get some contact using a 2.75 stroke shock - I've seen pics of mine bottomed and it looks like everything is pretty close. Good luck - I was wondering how a coil would feel. Oh yeah, I would assume it would need the "dw-link tune" from Fox.
I think that's actually a mistake on their website. It should be listed as an 8.75 x 2.75. I've checked around and no one is able to actually order a 8.75 x 2.5 coil DHX from Fox.

·
rollin
2,646 Posts
SkullCrack said:
I think that's actually a mistake on their website. It should be listed as an 8.75 x 2.75. I've checked around and no one is able to actually order a 8.75 x 2.5 coil DHX from Fox.
i don't think it's a mistake. correct me if i'm wrong, but i'm under the impression that the 6point shares the same seat tube, rear triangle, forgings, links and bearings as the 7point. the 7point uses an 8.75x2.75 rear shock, and if you put an 8.75x2.5 shock on there, you get the 6point. i removed the shock on my 6point6 and cycled it thru the travel, i measured 2 7/8 inches of stroke/movement before the rear triangle bottomed out on the upper rocker main bearings. this leads me to believe that an 8.75x2.75 shock would work. remove the spring off of your coil shock, bolt it on and cycle the rear triangle thru the travel. let us know if it works, cause i've got an 8.75x2.75 roco staring this frame down.

one more thing, there is 2.75 inches of stanchion showing on my fox dhx air that came on the 6point...i assume it's just an 8.75x2.75 shock, internally limitted to 2.5.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
SkullCrack said:
I see what you mean. 8.75x2.75 is a pretty standard size, so it may indeed be a typo. Thanks for pointing that out.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update

Well, I feel stupid. I felt what I thought was top out clunk, but now I think it was actually the chainstay hitting the inner plate of the DRS.

Anyway, the DHX Coil is on the bike now. I tried it without the spring first, and cycled all of the travel. There is no interferance that I could detect. It feels really good. I think I will try it this way for a while. I will most likely throw a ti spring on soon.

·
rollin
2,646 Posts
thephat said:
Anyway, the DHX Coil is on the bike now. I tried it without the spring first, and cycled all of the travel. There is no interferance that I could detect. It feels really good. I think I will try it this way for a while. I will most likely throw a ti spring on soon.
yesss!
170mm 6point?!?

shall we call it the 6point7?

...not that there's anything wrong with 160, i just like versatility and compatability. like bolting a TDI into my '82 vw caddy. simple engineering.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah it could be good because

sriracha said:
yesss!
170mm 6point?!?

shall we call it the 6point7?

...not that there's anything wrong with 160, i just like versatility and compatability. like bolting a TDI into my '82 vw caddy. simple engineering.
I was really thinking I want to run the 66 ETA 2006 model that I have been running on my Coiler. This fork happens to have 170mm of travel.

·
rollin
2,646 Posts
thephat said:
I was really thinking I want to run the 66 ETA 2006 model that I have been running on my Coiler. This fork happens to have 170mm of travel.
sweet. i got an '07 66 SLATA, which is adjustable from 180 to 140 mm. and the option to run the 8.75x2.75 roco from my V10. not to mention the optional DH wheelset from the same donor sled. the 6point is awesome!

·
Registered
882 Posts
This is a very interesting thread, and it would be great if DW or anyone else could chime in on this.

There are a few bikes out there like the 6 point, and 7 point - that share very similar, if not nearly identical rear suspension, save for the rear shock size and stroke.

In the example of the 6 point being spec'ed with a 8.75 by 2.5 shock, but capable of running a 8.75 by 2.75 shock with no contact - how does running the longer stroke effect the leverage ratio, wheel path, and general DW link pedaling goodness :) ?

I am assuming there is a good engineering reason for the different length shocks on the two bikes - or is it just marketing ie: the 7 point is a FR bike and the 6 point is an AM bike?

·
rollin
2,646 Posts
deoreo said:
how does running the longer stroke effect the leverage ratio, wheel path, and general DW link pedaling goodness :) ?

I am assuming there is a good engineering reason for the different length shocks on the two bikes - or is it just marketing ie: the 7 point is a FR bike and the 6 point is an AM bike?
it should just add an extra 10mm at the end of the travel.
there are differences between the 6 and 7 points. the 6point has lighter and differently shaped top and bottom tubes, and a thinner headtube. the 7point has gussets at the headtube, making it daul crown compatable, unlike the 6point.

dw stated a while ago that the 6point is based on the 7point chassis. the 6point is lighter, altho i wonder what the weight difference is, and it's designed for less abusive riding. think of them as the nomad and vpfree.

it makes sense tho, to use the same rear end, and just shorten the shock stroke. it would make manufacturing a lot more simple. and i like the idea of having a beefy and stiff rear triangle. i've always like the 7point, but i thought it was heavy for what i would use it for. the 6point is what i was looking for all along. sweet bike iron horse!

·
Amphibious Technologies
3,472 Posts
FrankenIH or FrankenDW

thephat said:
Anyway, the DHX Coil is on the bike now. I tried it without the spring first, and cycled all of the travel. There is no interferance that I could detect. It feels really good. I think I will try it this way for a while.
That's cool. How much clearance do you still have left at bottom out?

I was wondering if the 7 point rocker is compatible with the 6 point frame. In other words, can one put a 7 Point rocker on a 6 point frame with a 2.75 stroke shock to give you a light 7" DW bike. AKA 7-Point-light of FrankenIH :thumbsup:

·
mtbr platinum member
1,426 Posts
SCUBAPRO said:
That's cool. How much clearance do you still have left at bottom out?

I was wondering if the 7 point rocker is compatible with the 6 point frame. In other words, can one put a 7 Point rocker on a 6 point frame with a 2.75 stroke shock to give you a light 7" DW bike. AKA 7-Point-light of FrankenIH :thumbsup:
Scuba, You shouldn't need the 7 point rockers (they may even be the same - don't know for sure). The added stroke length is what gives the 7" of travel. Granted, the BB will be low for a 7" bike, but if you have an adjustable fork like the 66SL ATA, you'd be set.

There are even 2.75" stroke air shocks, which would be a true 7-Point-Light setup.

PS- A Marz '06 66SL at 170mm (555 AC length) should give a calculated BB height of 14.2" and a HA of 67 degrees.

·
Amphibious Technologies
3,472 Posts
7 Point-Light

_dw said:
Hi guys,
THe 8.75X2.75 will fit the bike just fine, and give more travel (7"). You will end up with a low BB at full travel, so keep that in mind.
Dave
Sweet! 7Point-Light :thumbsup:

Thanks for the response Dave! I might have to get myself a 7 Point-light in the near future. :D Though I have a question as to the actual travel on the 6 Point: since a 2.75 stroke shock gives 7" of travel then the actual travel on the 6 Point is 6.38". Is this correct?

BTW, is it possible to order a 6 point frame with a DHX coil in 8,75x2,75?

bikerx40 said:
Scuba, You shouldn't need the 7 point rockers (they may even be the same - don't know for sure). The added stroke length is what gives the 7" of travel. Granted, the BB will be low for a 7" bike, but if you have an adjustable fork like the 66SL ATA, you'd be set.
Yup, looks like you're right about that.

·
Registered
882 Posts
_dw said:
Hi guys,

THe 8.75X2.75 will fit the bike just fine, and give more travel (7"). You will end up with a low BB at full travel, so keep that in mind.

Dave
Cool !! - This is the kind of information, and feedback that makes me strongly consider IH bikes - mostly the DW Link ones ;)

Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks for the reply Dave

As an Iron Horse rider and dealer I think it is great that you take the time to be a part of this community. How critical do you think it is that the Fox DHX Coil shock be tuned for the DW linkage? I am thinking of sending it in to push anyway.

·
Just another FOCer
1,371 Posts
A few Fontucky 6Point DH practice shots from this weekend. Sorry I didn't snag any close ups.

thephat gets ready to start his practice run:

thephat's weekend ends prematurely after slamming the ground:

Hopefully it is just a bruised shoulder.

Jonny Biff:

Another 6Point/Totem combo? Probably a rare 7Point9.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
SCUBAPRO said:
Sweet! 7Point-Light :thumbsup:

Thanks for the response Dave! I might have to get myself a 7 Point-light in the near future. :D Though I have a question as to the actual travel on the 6 Point: since a 2.75 stroke shock gives 7" of travel then the actual travel on the 6 Point is 6.38". Is this correct?

BTW, is it possible to order a 6 point frame with a DHX coil in 8,75x2,75?

Yup, looks like you're right about that.
You got it, the 6POINT has 6.33 inches of travel. Damn I love mine.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.