Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got both my Push and non-Push Revelations in bits at the moment. Ideally I'd like a combination of the ride qualities of both of them. The Push fork is definitely less plush but it also definitely gives better control when the going gets more technical.

Looking closely at the pistons it looks like the preload on the compression circuit is higher, so I've got a few questions:

... does this make any difference and could it explain the difference in feel on compression?
... is this tunable?
... am I mad for even looking at this?

Here's a picture of the two side by side. The central section of the grid is showing the difference between the preload on the coil spring.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Having looked a bit closer, it is so unlikely the spring has any bearing on the state of tune that I am led to ask the real question: "what are the options for reducing the compression damping of the tune?"

This may all be a bit premature as I am going to be swapping the pistons from one fork to the other to make sure it is the "tune" and not just some stiction issue in the fork chassis.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
petercarm,

The circuit you're referring to isn't a compression circuit at all and produces zero compression force. The spring loaded feature that you're showing is called a replenish circuit. It's just like a check valve that allows the fluid to fill the back side of the piston during the compression stroke of the damper.

As for your compression concerns, this past week I did a number of dyno run simulations to help explain the system and what's actually happening. Once I get into the office I'll post some additional info.

Darren

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
PUSHIND said:
petercarm,
As for your compression concerns, this past week I did a number of dyno run simulations to help explain the system and what's actually happening. Once I get into the office I'll post some additional info.
Darren
Darren,

Thanks for the quick reply. I worked out after posting my question that the bit I was looking at wasn't responsible for what I'm feeling.

I think I'm struggling a bit with the setup of my Push fork. I found it easier to dial in the non-Push version and then just ride it. With the Push version I'm never sure I'm in the sweet spot, although I do appreciate that it has added some new capability.

I'm looking forward to seeing the dyno info. If there is any opportunity for self-tuning to experiment with setup, I'm game for giving it a try. I like to understand how I am altering my tune from a baseline rather than just sending it back to the shop for "less compression". I am here with bottles of Silkolene Pro RSF and some shims at the ready.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
petercarm said:
This may all be a bit premature as I am going to be swapping the pistons from one fork to the other to make sure it is the "tune" and not just some stiction issue in the fork chassis.
Sure enough, the Push internals on the other chassis give a super-plush feel. I think I have a stiction problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.