Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Removed at birth
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much air pressure are you using for the air preload, and how much do you weigh? My fork is arriving shortly. I weigh about 235 suited up. Zoke is going to install X-heavy springs, but I have no idea how much air pressure to run to keep it from bottoming.

·
Card Carrying Member
2,032 Posts
Weyvoless said:
How much air pressure are you using for the air preload, and how much do you weigh? My fork is arriving shortly. I weigh about 235 suited up. Zoke is going to install X-heavy springs, but I have no idea how much air pressure to run to keep it from bottoming.
low to mid 180s and barely any pressure at all... Maybe 5-10lbs at the most, but could probably use a couple more.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have tried all pressures from 0-15 psi and really can't tell a differance.I weigh 210 and have just let the air at about 5 psi and about 2 turns from full slow on rebound.I don't know what fork you are coming from but 20mm tru-axle is stiff as hell and definately inproves the steering and control.hopes this helps.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Z 1

I weighed about 200ish when I got mine, but I lost about 20 pounds in the meantime. When I first got it it might have been low on oil, because it was very close to bottoming quite a few times. So I had and oil changed to 10 wt oil and set the pressure in the middle about 7.5 psi. Thought about getting the heavier springs, but after the oil change everything has been cool. Great fork.

·
Xtremely Moderate
3,098 Posts
I weigh in at 225 + gear.

I've got a Z1 & a Z150, both w/ stock springage.
I run about 7-10 psi (15 psi is a bit stiff) on both and haven't hit bottom yet.

Very responsive forks. Like Amish butter.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Weyvoless said:
Well I have a FR and I just upgraded the springs and oil. The FR SL I think has more to do with airpressure.

·
Removed at birth
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The 04 models have an air assist cap, and that is what everyone is commenting on in this thread. You can add air one of the legs to set preload, and help with bottoming out, and that is what I was referring to.

·
Registered
666 Posts
155-160 with gear on. I run 0 preload and the sag is just about perfect. It bottomed hard once on about a 4-5 to flat landing (yeah, I land like a sac-o-potatos) but I think that's got more to do with oil height than the air preload.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Weyvoless said:
The 04 models have an air assist cap, and that is what everyone is commenting on in this thread. You can add air one of the legs to set preload, and help with bottoming out, and that is what I was referring to.
Well with my 04 FR I upgraded to extra stiff springs and heavier oil and I never bottom out. When it was stock it was always bottoming out. I like my fork a little stiffer (It's used for XC and FR) and that seemed to help better than adding air pressure.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts