Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Team Sanchez
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may be getting an 06 Stinky Primo frameset soon, and wanted to see what size I should get. I'm 6'2, with a 34 inch inseam. I will be using the bike for trail riding, and Free riding, including drops up to 12 foot to tranny. Also, are these frames setup with a 12mm thru axle with 135mm spacing? If I want to run an ISIS BB, what size BB do I need? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Stinkys are small

El Chingon said:
I may be getting an 06 Stinky Primo frameset soon, and wanted to see what size I should get. I'm 6'2, with a 34 inch inseam. I will be using the bike for trail riding, and Free riding, including drops up to 12 foot to tranny. Also, are these frames setup with a 12mm thru axle with 135mm spacing? If I want to run an ISIS BB, what size BB do I need? Thanks in advance.
Hi i am 5'10" and have a 16" large its heavey for trail riding i wanted a Coiler but the shop didnt have one and persuaded me into a stinky on reflection its not a Trail bikr at all.

I find the sizeing very small and think you will need the bigest you can get because the very short top tube makes any pedaling hard work.

Mine has a standard quick release on the rear ,but its the base model Stinky. I belive 68mm BB.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hi i am 5'10" and have a 16" large its heavey for trail riding i wanted a Coiler but the shop didnt have one and persuaded me into a stinky on reflection its not a Trail bikr at all.

I find the sizeing very small and think you will need the bigest you can get because the very short top tube makes any pedaling hard work.

Mine has a standard quick release on the rear ,but its the base model Stinky. I belive 68mm BB.
i'm the opposite i have a coiler but would love a stinky!

·
lidless ascender
812 Posts
I'm 5'9" and also bought a large Stinky Primo frame.You'll need a XL if you're more into freeriding, but if you want to use the bike for trailriding, XXL could be a better idea.
Or you can just put a longer stem (80mm) on the XL frame, which will extend the cockpit and put you in a better position for climbing.
Anyway, I think the Stinky can be built up into a relatively capable trail riding bike if you put on a 6-7" single crown fork (for example a Fox 36 or Marzocchi 66SL), maybe a Fox DHX Air shock or a titanium coil spring and carefully pick components that are capable of withstanding the abuse but are still lightweight enough.You can get to about 36-37lbs like that.

Marko

·
Team Sanchez
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. I already have a Turner 6-pack as my full time trail duty bike, so I will be adorning the STinky with a 888 RC, and other bits off my VP Free that I am selling right now. My target weight for the Stinky or whatever frame I decide on will be 38 lbs.

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
El Chingon said:
Thanks for the replies guys. I already have a Turner 6-pack as my full time trail duty bike, so I will be adorning the STinky with a 888 RC, and other bits off my VP Free that I am selling right now. My target weight for the Stinky or whatever frame I decide on will be 38 lbs.
EC,

I believe the new Stinky's retain the standard 135mm QR rear end (Stabs have the through-axle) and it also keeps the 68 x 113 BB size.

Out of curiousity, why are you getting rid of the VPF? Is it just a move to try something different or are you having issues with the pivots on the Santa Cruz? I'm curious because I'm thinking about upgrading from my older Stinky to a VPFree (among the bikes I'm considering) to gain a bit more travel (mine only has 6") for Freeride / DH and trying a VPP designed bike for a while.

Cheers,
EBX

·
Team Sanchez
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I actually really like the VPFree. Just last week I put some new bearings in it, and it feels like new now. I"m just gonna sit tight for a while with my one bike(6-pack), until all the 06 stuff is available to ride. I'm really interested in the Ellsworth Rogue, Turner Highline, and now the Stinky. The problem with the Rogue, and Highline, are that they are small bikes, and may not fit a guy my size. Get the VP Free, you'll love it. I usually only keep my frames for a year or so, and then move on. I'm a whore like that. I'm even worse with forks. 6 months max.

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
El Chingon said:
I actually really like the VPFree. Just last week I put some new bearings in it, and it feels like new now. I"m just gonna sit tight for a while with my one bike(6-pack), until all the 06 stuff is available to ride. I'm really interested in the Ellsworth Rogue, Turner Highline, and now the Stinky. The problem with the Rogue, and Highline, are that they are small bikes, and may not fit a guy my size. Get the VP Free, you'll love it. I usually only keep my frames for a year or so, and then move on. I'm a whore like that. I'm even worse with forks. 6 months max.
Aha. Thanks man. Just wanted to make sure there wasn't any major discontent about the VPFree. Yeah, that frame is #2 on my list for '06 behind the Transition Gran Mal since that frame looks great and those guys are my bro's.

Personally, I think the new Stinky Primo with 7" and the DHX 5.0 looks great and will handle what you are describing (for your size) without an issue. I've seen guys huck the older version Stinky frames off stuff ~20 feet on the Shore and they handled the abuse so you should be ok.

A big caveat, El C. I'm super biased because I see Kona's all year long at home, in Whistler and on the Shore and they take so much frickin' abuse that I'm sold on their product. :D

Chers,
EBX

·
Registered
55 Posts
XXL. (<that's xxl, period)

I'm 6'4", 35" inseam - so it sounds we're porportional leg/torso wise & I would suggest an xxl frame -only. I say that 'cause you mention "trail riding", which denotes some pedaling. If you think you're going to actually pedal a Stinky, you're going to find the cockpits really tight. It's that way for a reason, but pedaling isn't it.

I recently (as in just) built up an xxl '04 set for myself, for what sounds like the same purposes as you mentioned. Although the 04/06 frames are diff, the TT lengths are within 0.2" of each other & here's what I've discovered -

Using a 180mm crank arm, a seat post with 1" of setback, and the seat slidden as far back as possible on the rails, the "knee bump/ball of foot/pedal spindle" alingmnt isn't even close to being "right" in XC/roadie terms of bike fit. So I've found pedaling the Stinky works a completly new part of my thighs then my "all purpose" Jamis does. I'm also using a 100mm stem at the moment & the cockpit still feels a bit cramped to me. An hour or two in the afternoon is ok, but any longer & I'd really be looking for a 120+ stem, OR a seat post with more setback (which would really be the way to go, but try & find a 30mm dia post with more than an inch ~ if you can, LET ME KNOW)

BUT - having said all that - Pedaling isn't what the Stinky's about! It's about railing downhill & other "stupid" stuff. There, the seated position puts my weight with a slight rear bias on the frame (which seems to work with the extra inch of suspension I've got there over my superT fork), yet I can slide just a bit forward on the saddle and get a really nice bite on the F tire for corners & what not. With the saddle dropped, I find the 100mm stem's about right for my long arms & I'm able to get my butt way, way back.

Anyway, like I said I've only got a few days on my build so far, but I say an XXL frame. I couldn't imagine trying to actually "ride" anything smaller other then off roof tops or down waterfalls.

I also think trying to hit 38lbs is real optimistic using a triple 8 fork and a coil-sprung shock. Using components that can stand up to what the frame can take, I think ~40 is more realistic. I think you could get mid/hi 30's with a single crown fork & an air shock, otherwise I think you're looking at mega $'s to get near 38 - but that's JMO. It's the frame - it's big, beefy, & burly all by itself - it ain't no lightweight.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Rear cable routing

What he said!

I have put a 90 mm stem on mine and the bike is much better.
Doe'sany one have any concerns over the rear cables i get ghost shifting wich i think is the way the cable mounts on the suspension beam, also look at the potential for rear brake cable rub through, its an accident waiting to happen.

Attachments

·
lidless ascender
812 Posts
The Stinky frame isn't that heavy.The '06 L frame weighs 4530g (Stinky Primo, DHX 5.0 w/350lb spring), which is only about 200-300g (roughly 0.5lb) more than a Bullit frame.
For comparison sake: '04 Norco Shore frame size M weighs 1100g (2.5lbs) more.

Marko

·
Registered
829 Posts
problematiks said:
The Stinky frame isn't that heavy.The '06 L frame weighs 4530g (Stinky Primo, DHX 5.0 w/350lb spring), which is only about 200-300g (roughly 0.5lb) more than a Bullit frame.

Marko
Hmmm curious ....i dont feel my stinky rolls that well,(as in obtains speed)..which i was putting down to the weight,
i am useing bontrager earl tyres they suit the conditions here well in terms of grip maybe they are holding me back they sound like tractor tyres on the pavement.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hmmm curious ....i dont feel my stinky rolls that well,(as in obtains speed)..which i was putting down to the weight,
i am useing bontrager earl tyres they suit the conditions here well in terms of grip maybe they are holding me back they sound like tractor tyres on the pavement.
Well your rolling resistance should be greater that on road tires. About your bike, what does that line do that goes up to your seatpost? for that "on the fly" seat adjustment? And is that a rear reflector that I see on the seatpost? that is totally forbidden on a FS rig like that :D

·
Registered
55 Posts
problematiks said:

Marko
hmm... Well, I'm not a bike shop & don't have access to a real bike scale (other than my arm) but I have recently built both my Stinky Primo & my Dakar XLT, & had both framesets laying around bare at the same time. Once again, no real scale weights, but my very real impression is that the Stinky's real close to twice the weight of the Dakar. Which would explain a good chunk of the ~11/12lb diff between the two. The Super-T forks got 1.5lb over the Z1FR I've got on the Dakar, but the Profile Racing crankset on the XLT's got a 1/4lb on what's on my Stinky... 50g's in the stems, seat posts & saddles are a push, a couple of grams in the handle bars... but the rest of the builds are remarkably the same. So, give ya a couple of pounds for the shock difference (swinger air vs fox coil) and there's still ~5+lbs floating around.

Yeah, ok - so, I don't have "exact" weights. But the Stinky is a heavy frame compared to some other MTB's, - that's why you can beat on it without breaking it. Wasn't saying it was particularly heavier than any other FR frameset, but it's not a DH frameset either - I was commenting that it's not a XC frameset, & losing a couple of pounds off of it on a build (to ~38lbs?) without compromising it's ability with lightweight & fragile XC parts, is going to be difficult :)

·
Registered
829 Posts
Descalzo said:
hmm... Well, I'm not a bike shop & don't have access to a real bike scale (other than my arm) but I have recently built both my Stinky Primo & my Dakar XLT, & ha

etc etc

Aggreed.

To the other guy

yes that is a gravity dropper seat post (a fine invention).....and no, not a reflector a light mount some time's i ride the road just to stay fit when its uber wet on the hill.

·
Registered
829 Posts
From Kona

MqtRider said:
That would be awesome for everyone on the thread!
A hair under 10 lbs.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Thursday, December 01, 2005 6:54 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: 06 Stinky frame weight

Hi I am doing some calculations on possible builds of my 06 stinky can you tell me the frame weight of the 16" with DHX 3 shock?

Alec Pym

The Old Inn

Hawkchurch

Axminster

Devon

EX13 5XD

Tel 01297678309

www.hawkchurch.com

·
lidless ascender
812 Posts
MqtRider said:
You should get an exact weight of that large 06' Frame
That would be awesome for everyone on the thread!
I'd say 4530 grams is pretty exact :D Or, if you want the weight in lbs, it's 9.95lbs, or a hair under 10lbs if you're not into gram/ounce counting :)

Descalzo said:
hmm... Well, I'm not a bike shop & don't have access to a real bike scale (other than my arm) but I have recently built both my Stinky Primo & my Dakar XLT, & had both framesets laying around bare at the same time. Once again, no real scale weights, but my very real impression is that the Stinky's real close to twice the weight of the Dakar.
The weight difference between the XLT and Stinky Primo is 3.3lbs (according to the weight weenies weight listing for the XLT), so I'd say you have lots of other parts besides the frame that add weight to your bike.I don't know about your component spec on that bike, but mine is this:
- Stinky Primo frame L (DHX 5.0 shock w/ 350lb spring)
- Marzocchi Super T '04 w/ integrated stem
- Truvativ Holzfeller OS bar
- Hayes MAG brakes w/ 8" rotors
- XT right, Sram Rocket left shifter combo
- Odi Rogue Lock-On grips
- Shimano Saint Cranks w/ Blackspire bashring and chainrings
- Blackspire dual speed chainguide
- Shimano 646 pedals
- Shimano Deore front derraileur
- Shimano Saint rear derraileur
- Sram PC 59 chain
- Sram PG 9 cassette
- Alex Supra D welded rims
- Axiom 20 mm front hub
- Axiom 135 x 10 through axle rear hub
- DT Swiss 2.0 spokes
- Kenda Blue Groove 2.5 front tire
- Tioga DH 2.3 rear tire
- Ritchey 2.1-2.3" tubes
- WTB Laser V Ti saddle
- Titec Scoper seatpost (excluding the pedals, rear tire, tubes, seat and front derraileur, this is the original componentry of the '04 Norco Shore)

All of this adds up to 40.7lbs.
Just by changing the fork to a sigle crown one (36 Talas, 36 Van or 66SL), lighter cranks, a normal seatpost (I obviously don't need a telescopic seatpost on the Stinky, it's a temporars fix anyway) the bike loses about 3lbs.Then you have the rear shock (a Ti spring - 0.5lb, DHX Air - 1lb), Stan's tubeless conversion (0.5 lb), DT Swiss 440 freeride hubs (0.5 lb), rear derraileur (about 0.25 lbs - but I won't change it, because the Saint one is bombproof),...there's other stuff, but it wouldn't add up to much, especially considering the bang for the buck aspect.Anyway, if you add these weight savings up, you can get to under 36lbs.

Marko

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.