Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has any body drilled your rims out so much that the rim failed? Pics?

I hear that you should not go closer then one CM to the nipple. Has anyone gone closer with success?

How thin can I make the ribs (material left between cut outs)?

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I have seen a whole bunch of self drilled rim's, some of them I felt were doomed for failure but I have not seen any pics or heard report's. Did you try searching for failed rims? When I drilled my first set I was conservative and went with 30mm. They held up great, I weigh 180 dressed for riding and rode them year round in roots and rocks. I put them through quite a bit of abuse the first year I had them and a friend decided to build up a bike and I lent him a hand by drilling his rim's. I went 40 mm and they are going strong over three years later. He weighs about the same and rides year round on some of the same trails as I do.

Will you be using them for snow only? Whats your riding style? How much do you weigh? Front? Rear? Or both? Is it a double drilled rim? Single wall or double wall? Off set or symmetrical? What tires do you run? What pressure do you run the tires at? How do your standard bike wheels hold up? Do you break spokes? Loads of variables.

Has any body drilled your rims out so much that the rim failed? Pics?

I hear that you should not go closer then one CM to the nipple. Has anyone gone closer with success?

How thin can I make the ribs (material left between cut outs)?

Thoughts?

·
Registered
5,573 Posts
275 at my heaviest riding 1-1/4" drilled rolling Darryl. No issues yet after 700-800 miles. I ride snow, rough stuff, river banks....and my wife!

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,404 Posts
Drilled mine and it even got partially ran over by a car in November! Still holding up great.

·
Laramie, Wyoming
1,941 Posts
I too have seen some crazy cutouts and drilling. I've never heard of anyone say anything about a rim failing. It's just like the tire failing arguments. We just haven't seen it.

·
FatBike Fiend
974 Posts
I too have seen some crazy cutouts and drilling. I've never heard of anyone say anything about a rim failing. It's just like the tire failing arguments. We just haven't seen it.
I heard that one of the Nomeward bound ITI racers was having problems with his rims cracking between cutouts. I don't know the specifics but will try to find out more.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I heard that one of the Nomeward bound ITI racers was having problems with his rims cracking between cutouts. I don't know the specifics but will try to find out more.
I look forward to that.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Shoo wrote
"Will you be using them for snow only? Whats your riding style? How much do you weigh? Front? Rear? Or both? Is it a double drilled rim? Single wall or double wall? Off set or symmetrical? What tires do you run? What pressure do you run the tires at? How do your standard bike wheels hold up? Do you break spokes? Loads of variables. "

This rim comes off my daughters new 20" fatbike. It weights way to much. I am open to any and all ideas to cut this beast up.

Attachments

·
Your Best Friend
5,301 Posts
I assume she is small and light? After drilling it, you could relace it with radial lacing.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I like the way lambeinator did his and got another Hougen Holcutter ordered (1.5").

Reactions: Greenfin

·
Registered
29 Posts
haven't weighed it yet, I will weigh the bag of "coins" when I get access to a decent scale. Let's just say that the coins have some heft, weighs more than I thought it would...

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Thats a bit of a different story than I imagined. Always amazes me how heavy children's bikes are, 36 hole rims are the norm. The bike I had as a youngster was well over 40 pounds, I had an off road tandem that weighed less. I imagine you can drill like crazy and still be safe on that rim.

Shoo wrote
"Will you be using them for snow only? Whats your riding style? How much do you weigh? Front? Rear? Or both? Is it a double drilled rim? Single wall or double wall? Off set or symmetrical? What tires do you run? What pressure do you run the tires at? How do your standard bike wheels hold up? Do you break spokes? Loads of variables. "

This rim comes off my daughters new 20" fatbike. It weights way to much. I am open to any and all ideas to cut this beast up.
Is that your wheel Tunalic? You do nice work, looks great.

I like the way lambeinator did his and got another Hougen Holcutter ordered (1.5").

·
Registered
562 Posts
Is that your wheel Tunalic? You do nice work, looks great.
No, it's lambeinator's wheel from the Massif thread. Few more days & I will have the bike...thinking them 1.5" holes will be plenty big & safe enough esp. for my 10 yr old daughter.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've had several sets of Fatback UMA 70's that I've drilled out to just under 600g. On the first set I did I paid a lot of attention to how long they lasted. The rear ended up being good for a little over 4000 miles before it started cracking. I go about 185 lbs and a lot of those miles were under loaded bike conditions.

That was good enough life for me to make a few more sets of them. None of which have failed yet. But they're pretty much race wheels and don't see many miles.

I've had completely stock Mavic road rims fail in 10,000-12,000 miles. So it wasn't a big surprise when I killed ridiculously light UMA's .

Don't have a picture right now, but I'll try to get some on here soon.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts