Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I recently started mountain biking again on my old early 90's rigid (been doing a lot of ultra distance road riding the last few years so the old friend has had less use). A little while ago a friend gave me his old trek 3700 frame and I figured I'd throw all my deore LX components on it and give it a go. Anyway, to the main topic, I am taking the 3700 on the stretch of trail 100 between dreamy draw and cave creek road Monday on my lunch hour and thinking about how everyone rates trail 100 as a beginner trail and I am thinking I must really have lost it over the years. Especially on the way back on the first big hill coming back from cave creek road, I made it down it with some trepidation (I'd forgotten my helmet at home and was trying to play it conservatively but failing) but was only able to get 60-70% back up it. Do people actually go all the way up that thing? I somehow doubt that beginners do. The rest of the climbs I can either make or am so close I can see how you could do it with a few tries at it.

Incidentally I almost made it to the end for a nice 16 mile lunch ride (it was a long lunch I confess but work is slow right now). Front suspension really saves your palms on these rocky trails.

Also Incidentally, if anyone upgrades and wants to sell their old fork let me know, my current one is about as cheap/crappy/heavy as you can get but it's still a lot better than the rigid fork.

·
Registered
238 Posts
That hill is named Disneyland on some local maps I have. I call it the Mofo. I can't make it up... I get about half-way before stalling in the rocks. Hell, it took me nearly a year of riding to get the balls to ride down it.

I have never seen anyone climb it. But there have been 1 or 2 posts on MTBR where someone has said they've climbed it.

I think when people say T100 is a beginner trail, they are referring to the section between Dreamy Draw and Tatum.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Hi Paul,

I would suggest that the "rating" for T100 as a beginner trail is due to the fact that it is (for the most part) smooth and devoid of the technical features of other trails in the area. The section you rode does have some steep hills to climb and descend, but they are short so the beginner tag fits. A trail where one can ride what they want push themselves and grow as a rider, while feeling somewhat safe.

For what it's worth, Desert Classic gets the beginner tag as well, however, it has sections that are rather tough for a beginner. I think it gets its name b/c it's a good beginner trail *at* South Mountain.

And yes...I would say that what ever climb you are referring too in the valley that regularly see MTBers some one climbs it. Never underestimate just how freakish some riders are. =)

Glad you had fun. keep up with the dirt and you'll be fully addicted in no time.

·
President Skroob
499 Posts
Is this Cardiac Hill??? If it's the one to the north then I have yet to see someone clean that but I did see Dirt Monkey get within 10 feet of the top of that thing before the gradient blew up.

Agreed though, there are people with mad skills that can climb and descent almost anything. Cardiac is doable, but that hill to the North on the other side still eludes me.

·
Ouch, I am hot!
4,765 Posts
pauldelamancha said:
Ok, I recently started mountain biking again on my old early 90's rigid (been doing a lot of ultra distance road riding the last few years so the old friend has had less use). A little while ago a friend gave me his old trek 3700 frame and I figured I'd throw all my deore LX components on it and give it a go. Anyway, to the main topic, I am taking the 3700 on the stretch of trail 100 between dreamy draw and cave creek road Monday on my lunch hour and thinking about how everyone rates trail 100 as a beginner trail and I am thinking I must really have lost it over the years. Especially on the way back on the first big hill coming back from cave creek road, I made it down it with some trepidation (I'd forgotten my helmet at home and was trying to play it conservatively but failing) but was only able to get 60-70% back up it. Do people actually go all the way up that thing? I somehow doubt that beginners do. The rest of the climbs I can either make or am so close I can see how you could do it with a few tries at it.

Incidentally I almost made it to the end for a nice 16 mile lunch ride (it was a long lunch I confess but work is slow right now). Front suspension really saves your palms on these rocky trails.

Also Incidentally, if anyone upgrades and wants to sell their old fork let me know, my current one is about as cheap/crappy/heavy as you can get but it's still a lot better than the rigid fork.
Most people probably do 100(a) and go around that hill. Up or down, that hill is not beginner level.

·
Registered
630 Posts
If you go down that hill, there is an easier way to get back to the top of the hill, right by the power post, if you take a clockwise loop around the mountain. I find it better to take on this route as opposed to trying to climb back up Disneyland Hill. It is reall easy to find. Instead of turning left towards the horse tunnel, go right, and stay to the right and you will be around it. Fairly easy, gradual climbs. Enjoy.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pynis McDermott said:
If you go down that hill, there is an easier way to get back to the top of the hill, right by the power post, if you take a clockwise loop around the mountain. I find it better to take on this route as opposed to trying to climb back up Disneyland Hill. It is reall easy to find. Instead of turning left towards the horse tunnel, go right, and stay to the right and you will be around it. Fairly easy, gradual climbs. Enjoy.
Thanks! Not that I don't absolutely love pushing my bike up steep rocky chutes but the point to mountain biking really is to RIDE the bike isn't it? :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.