Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do they make a flip flop fixed/free with a disc brake option in 135mm?

So I would like a hub to take a cog and a disc on one side and a freewheel on the other.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you could squeeze the cog and the disc mount in on the same side

so I guess they don't make it

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
You're asking for simple product information. Use the internet.

http://www.whiteind.com/

To put it simply, no. Now, it could be possible to have a rotor on the disc flange of any freewheel/disc hub, some spacers, and then a Tomicog (http://tomicog.blogspot.com/). One could try it, but no one has done it and you might destroy your hub.

Honestly, you can't even iterate what you want to do. You're searching for a solution without ever asking a question. Your other thread is just as silly.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
get a 135 mtn disc hub and than go by a tomi cog, there are a few companies making fixed cogs that bolt to a standard 6 bolt disc mount, you would have to remove the the rotor to use it fixed, or maybe even longer bolts and spacers to have the fixed god bolted on while a rotor is installed??? just a thought

·
Registered
7,392 Posts
Schmucker said:
You're asking for simple product information. Use the internet...

...You're searching for a solution without ever asking a question. Your other thread is just as silly.
Fair go Schmucker. Earl123 obviously doesn't know too much at this stage, so he's got to ask the questions.

A flipflop hub was designed to give riders a choice of 2 ratios, and in some cases the choice between a freewheel and fixed. It was a solution for the days when riders used the same bike for commuting and racing. (Very few would contemplate switching the wheel around during a ride.) The other way was simply to have 2 different wheels.

If you want to use a disk brake then you are best to use a disk specific hub and put your 2 ratios on the drive side. On a cassette hub this is easy - just stick 2 cogs on. On a freewheel hub you can use something like White Industries DOS freewheel. Or you can do as many of the old timers and have 2 wheels.

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
It is not clear exactly what you want. Let's try this. You can have a conventional hub that as a disc mount on one side and a freewheel/cassette on the other of course. Then you can get a TomiCog as mentioned above and remove the rotor, bolt on the TomiCog, and have a fixed / free wheel. You can run a V-brake rear and disc front so that you have brakes in fixed configuration.

I have the rear disc back on now, and two wheelsets; one is freewheel with the rotor bolted on, the other has the cassette cog and a TomiCog bolted to the rotor flange, That is my fixed setup, I have only a front disc brake (confident in my fixed control with one brake now), and if I am entirely knackered at the end of a ride, I have a freewheel to get me out of the hills, but have never needed it.

The only fixed and disc hub I have found is made by Phil Wood Rear Kiss-Off Disc Fixed at $279.00 USD.

If you want to bolt a rotor and TomiCog to the same side, you will not really have room on the rear, since the cog will hit the caliper. I had this issue with my freewheel / TomiCog wheel and that is why I did disc front V-brake rear mullet. My SS cassette wheel clears the caliper now. The other issue would be that you could never get your chain line setup on the fixed cog / rotor side, and it would probably rub the frame on both sides.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the help everyone. I guess they don't make the do it all hub.

Basically what I wanted, and I guess I didn't explain it clear enough for Schmucker, is a hub where a cog, a freewheel and disc rotor co-exist. I come from the track/fixed-gear discipline so I am very familiar with flip-flop hubs and now that I am building a ss/fixed mtb wanted to know if anyone knew of such a hub.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here's my new lead...

A track styled hub spaced 135 of course with an extra long right-hand thread and then the stepped left-hand thread.

Screw the freewheel on first then perhaps a spacer if necessary then the cog and lock-ring.
(The disc rotor mount will be on the other side where it usually is)

Then you get a double crankset ... see where I'm going.

A fixed free disc hub

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
No, that won't work. The freewheel does not thread completely on. There used to be hubs with the normal freewheel length 1.37x24TPI threading and the reverse fixed lockring threads. Those you could thread a freewheel on, remove the freewheel, install a spacer and a cog with the lockring for fixed gear. You cannot have it all. You can thread a freewheel onto fixed threads, it just won't have enough support. Your chainline wouldn't work with what you want anyways. The cog and freewheel would be at least a cm apart. Go read 63xc.com for a while and figure out what can be done and what's available. The cheapest way I can think of to get a disc/fixed hub is to install a Surly Fixxer on a Shimano hub.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you had enough threads you could fit a freewheel a spacer a cog and a lock ring on.

How would the freewheel not have enough support?

And the chainline would be taken care of by the double crankset which I mentioned.

Instead of flipping the hub, move the chain.

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
Okay, if you put a freewheel on just fixed threads it would not have enough support since the torque is applied a little further out than a fixed gear. It might work fine, but it is usually not recommended. What you are suggesting is impossible. Freewheels can't thread thread on any further than they already do. They have a flange where the removal tool goes. Maybe you could find one that would work, somewhere, but doubtful. You can't have the cog on first then the freewheel because then you couldn't have a lockring and the whole thing would thread off when you backpedaled. You could threadlocker the cog on, then installed the freewheel if you had enough threads. Either way, what you want isn't made. Come up with another compromise. Build up two rear wheels or something.

·
Registered
604 Posts
earl123 said:
If you had enough threads you could fit a freewheel a spacer a cog and a lock ring on.

How would the freewheel not have enough support?

And the chainline would be taken care of by the double crankset which I mentioned.

Instead of flipping the hub, move the chain.
earl...........you are making this way too complicated.

first, you cannot simultaneously FIT a FW and a COG on any hub that I have seen.
second, the fixed side steps down for the lockring (read the thread are different diameter on the hub), so there is not enough threads to put a FW and the cog on.

trust me, flipping the wheel is much easier than moving/running a double crankset the way you are proposing.

now, if you were interested in running a flip flop WI with ENO double, then you could get the double ratio (on both sides FW and fixed cog) AND a good chainline.

anything else, IMO would be ghetto fab......................but there are some people who roll that way.
I am simply one of the many in this thread who have recommended that you will be happier if you don't.

check out the White Industries page for ideas, or simply run a 'tomicog' on your disc FW.
beyond that, you seem to be complicating an unecessary part.

·
one chain loop
2,360 Posts
just let him do whatever, i don't think he is seeking any advice anyway.

·
Registered
604 Posts
exactly, WTF am I doing up @ 11:30 talking about SS what if's anyway?!

·
Registered
416 Posts
"If you had enough threads you could fit a freewheel a spacer a cog and a lock ring on.
"

Nope cannot be done.

1. There is not enuogh thread.

2. Most freewheels do not have continous threads. That means that you cannot thread all the way thru the freewheel. Some cheaper freewheels do have continous thread but not any quality freewheel's.

You have two attachment points on a hub. Left and right. That means two choices. Live with it.

Ow forgot. There is a way to have a two speed freewheel. When you backpedal there's one gear and when you frontpedal you get a second gear. But because of the amount of rigging and chainlength you cannot use such a setup with a flip flop.

·
Registered
7,392 Posts
Earl123, I think you need a lathe and a large lump of alloy :)

I've done a lot of bodging in my time and created some real frankensteins, but I really can't think of a way to do what you want and have it all on one wheel.

If you manage it, make sure you post the pics.

Edit: Maybe if you stick 2 fixed cogs on the rear and find a way to get a dual chainline using a freewheel trials crank at the front with one ring fixed. No idea how to do it though.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
earl123 said:
Do they make a flip flop fixed/free with a disc brake option in 135mm?

So I would like a hub to take a cog and a disc on one side and a freewheel on the other.
the Eccentric ENO does - sans disc (like the one on the home page). The straight axle one doesn't. But you can buy a straight axle for the Eccentric (make it 135mm) with straight axle nuts and there you have it.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Hmm Ernesto. Are you sure that you can put a cog and a disc on one side at the same time? How on earth would that be possible on an ENO? There's not enough room. Or do you have a disc with reverse threads that you use as a lockring for a normal fixed gear cog?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts