Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I`m followin it, by the book.
As a "first 10" sport class racer, I`m training to raise my power output to it`s max, before going into longer intervals.
My intervals are now, from 1 to 5 min at my LTT. As I read in the book, I don`t want to do the longer (less intensity, MSPO) intervals, before having a strong and sustainable power output.

My season had already started and in the first race I placed 7/110 in my cat. My main goal for this year is taking that 7º place to a 2º or 3º place (the closer to the podium that I can).

So my question is, should I keep doing this short time, high intensity intervals to the point that I can`t raise it anymore? (I have 3 months doing 4 weeks blocks of them),Or should I jump to the longer intervals. I`m doing them on a trainer (don`t have PowerMeter :( ). But I use as a gauge to maintain constant power output, the same cadence and speed for the duration of the interval. And every 5~4 weeks, I try to raise the speed 1 or 2 km/h more than the previous block.

If it matters, I`m a male, 22 years old, riding and racing MTB (most of my train is on the road bike). I have a strong base.

Thanks a lot, in advance. :)

And sorry for my English :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
fran said:
I`m followin it, by the book.
As a "first 10" sport class racer, I`m training to raise my power output to it`s max, before going into longer intervals.
My intervals are now, from 1 to 5 min at my LTT. As I read in the book, I don`t want to do the longer (less intensity, MSPO) intervals, before having a strong and sustainable power output.

My season had already started and in the first race I placed 7/110 in my cat. My main goal for this year is taking that 7? place to a 2? or 3? place (the closer to the podium that I can).

So my question is, should I keep doing this short time, high intensity intervals to the point that I can`t raise it anymore? (I have 3 months doing 4 weeks blocks of them),Or should I jump to the longer intervals. I`m doing them on a trainer (don`t have PowerMeter :( ). But I use as a gauge to maintain constant power output, the same cadence and speed for the duration of the interval. And every 5~4 weeks, I try to raise the speed 1 or 2 km/h more than the previous block.

If it matters, I`m a male, 22 years old, riding and racing MTB (most of my train is on the road bike). I have a strong base.

Thanks a lot, in advance. :)

And sorry for my English :rolleyes:
My Thoughts

-a goal of top 3 is not a good goal. Because it is COMPLETELY out of your control. Re-read Dave's sections on goals and come up with some better, defineable, specific goals. This will help track your progress and take a lot of pressure off you mentally with regards to placings.

if your season has already started than you timed the off-season planning wrong and you're going to have to make adjustments

-You don't have to do 3 week blocks followed by 1 week rest. You could try a block of 1 or 2 weeks of SMSP, then 1 or 2 weeks of MSPO with some rest. But the entire off season plan works together like a pyramid, where the previous step provides the foundation for the next.

-There is a downside to MSPO blocks. Doing the same intensity for long periods has the potential for makeing you feel stale with no pop. Meaning it's hard to change your intensity quickly. Such as needed for dealing with a short technical section, or trying to chase someone for a short time. This lack of snap is not good for going into races.

-you can throw in some leadout intervals or sprints during your MSPO blocks to help you keep some snap

-you can sacrifice some of your early races by focusing on getting through the MSPO phase and then transisitioning from the MSPO to in-season riding, or you can shorten the MSPO phase in order to get into the in-season riding sooner.

keep in mind I don't know anything but I stayed in a Holiday Inn last night.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.