Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've have my '08 stumpy pro for about 6 weeks now, about 20 rides. I noticed during yesterday's ride that the firm/soft adjustment knob on the brain doesn't seem to be as adjustable as it should. For example, at the firmest setting you can definitely tell the brain is working (seat feels higher, distinct clicking feeling in the seat and pedals). Two clicks out from full firm, it feels like the system is wide open. No clicking sensation except in really rough sections and even then it's very slight. I had heard somewhen (maybe on this forum) that there were 16 levels of adjustment in the brain. I seem to only have three. Are the differences between 3 clicks from full firm to the softest setting just that minute or do I have a problem with the brain?

Is there any way to check the brain to make sure it's functioning properly?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Clicking???

I don't get any clicking on mine (08 SJ expert).

When locked out it feels like my old Epic - hard tail until bumps.

When activated (I ride 4-5 clicks in from firm) it feels active - but not squishy. No real loss of seat height.

You may want to check the sag setting on the main shock and if that is set right then take it into the shop.

Good Luck

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess it's not so much an audiable clicking, but more of a bumping feeling in the seat and pedals. I'm pretty sure that is normal because MTB Action mentions it in their review of the Stumpy Pro.

I'll check the air pressure (sag) again though. I could see that affecting the brain's performance if I had it too low. Last time I checked it, it was on the soft end of the sag-o-meter still but within the notch.

·
ride ride ride
133 Posts
the dynamic range of the brain is not as broad as it should be. your observation that most of the range is in the first few clicks out from firm matches mine.

that said, you should have a total of about 24 clicks in about 2 full turns of the brain's dial.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.