Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, before ordering a sunrace 10-46 11-speed cassette, I decided to have a look at the install instructions here.

But there's something I don't understand. In step 4, you are supposed to tighten the adapter with a cassette lockring tool. If this is true, how do you remove the adapter in the event you want to switch back to a SRAM cassette? There is nothing to "grab" (as with a chain whip) to keep the underlying driver body from rotating. It looks like the entire body is covered by the adapter.

What am I missing?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I think you just need a tool with longer splines to engage the both locking rings simultaneously. Just start loosening the top lockring to even the splines with the internal one. Then push the tool inwards and undo the two together.

Or in case you have the wheel with no sprockets on it, just put the larger cogs carrier on and grab it with the whip.

Technology Grey Household hardware Rectangle Tool accessory

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am resurrecting this post.... I have tried both options described by Marsa with no luck, no matter how much force I apply. The adapter seems to be just one piece with the "internal" lockring. Am I doing something wrong ? Thoughts ? I did contact SunRace for uninstall instructions, we'll see if they reply

I think you just need a tool with longer splines to engage the both locking rings simultaneously. Just start loosening the top lockring to even the splines with the internal one. Then push the tool inwards and undo the two together.

Or in case you have the wheel with no sprockets on it, just put the larger cogs carrier on and grab it with the whip.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am resurrecting this post.... I have tried both options described by Marsa with no luck, no matter how much force I apply. The adapter seems to be just one piece with the "internal" lockring. Am I doing something wrong ? Thoughts ? I did contact SunRace for uninstall instructions, we'll see if they reply
Any update from SunRace or solutions for this? I have this exact same problem with my XD adapter being stuck on the hub.

This was a helpful comment from a relevant YouTube video (
) but I'm not sure I have a high enough bike IQ to understand what is being described:
"If you over-tighten the adapter and/or can't get it off try this: First file a sharp, flat edge onto the freewheel tool to increase the amount of engagement and minimize the chance of it slipping off during removal. Lock the tool in place pretty tightly with a long bolt, spacers, and 2 nuts on each side of the hub. Use a wrench to break it loose."

1 - 5 of 5 Posts