Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not long ago i bought an older specialized P2. Its my first "real" bike, and i love it. My friend and i can shred down our local trails all day... good times.

anyhow, the bike is a lil on the smaller side. I feel like if i was stretched out a little bit more, things would be gravy. That got me looking at stems. I figure they ought to do just that, stretch me out, but i dont have a clue how to size them, nor a real idea as to how long of one to get? any help as to what i should look for?

also.... chain guide. The occasional slap of my chain is annoying. Are chain guides the fix? and what exactly do these do? keep the chain more tense overall? and can they even work with my two rings up front? also... how to fit, what to buy, blah, blah, blah

Any help or insight for any of my questions is appreciated.

thanks for reading my short novel.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
chain slap is going to happen pretty much no matther what, i would put a chainstay protector on (most people use an old tube and some zip tie) or you can buy one made of neoprene

as for the stem...i wouldnt go much longer than 65 or 70mm for a P2..do you know what is on there right now?

·
Probably drunk right now
6,753 Posts
Stems and Chainguides...

XJimmyTheSaintX said:
Not long ago i bought an older specialized P2. Its my first "real" bike, and i love it. My friend and i can shred down our local trails all day... good times.

anyhow, the bike is a lil on the smaller side. I feel like if i was stretched out a little bit more, things would be gravy. That got me looking at stems. I figure they ought to do just that, stretch me out, but i dont have a clue how to size them, nor a real idea as to how long of one to get? any help as to what i should look for?

also.... chain guide. The occasional slap of my chain is annoying. Are chain guides the fix? and what exactly do these do? keep the chain more tense overall? and can they even work with my two rings up front? also... how to fit, what to buy, blah, blah, blah

Stems
A longer stem will stretch you out but it will also bring more weight over the front of your bike, requiring more effort to get your front wheel up. I don't know what the stock stem length and rise are on the P2, but I suspect it's short. If you can borrow stems in graduating lengths of 10mm, you can determine if a longer stem is right for you. Don't get wrapped up in manufacturer or models at this point. You're just trying to determine proper length for you.

Another approach you may want to consider is a setback seatpost. It will stretch you out a bit and won't add more weight to the front of your bike.

Chain Guides
Chain guides are designed to keep the chain on the drive train vs. adding tension. That's what the derailer does.

The chain slap you're describing is part of mountian biking. You can add a neoprene and velcro chainstay protector to reduce the noise.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
First I am no expert but you said your bike is pretty new....my chain stretched out (worn in along with the ring) after a month or 2 and started slapping more, I removed a link and its back to normal (still slaps but not nearly as much)

Also the Blackspire Stinger is a cheap way to keep the chain from bouncing around so much

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/15...m&zmam=3075515&zmas=1&zmac=30&zmap=075 BLAST6

XJimmyTheSaintX said:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
spazzy said:
chain slap is going to happen pretty much no matther what, i would put a chainstay protector on (most people use an old tube and some zip tie) or you can buy one made of neoprene

as for the stem...i wouldnt go much longer than 65 or 70mm for a P2..do you know what is on there right now?
its a Truvativ Hussefelt... i think its about 40mm

would making a switch to either a 65 or 70mm stem be worthwhile? and by worth while, i guess i mean, noticeable, and benificial?

im wishing i had my bike with me now, i would sit on the bike and see how it would feel if i was grabbing the bars farther away

·
Probably drunk right now
6,753 Posts
ummm...

Ray Lee said:
First I am no expert but you said your bike is pretty new....my chain stretched out (worn in along with the ring) after a month or 2 and started slapping more, I removed a link and its back to normal (still slaps but not nearly as much)

Also the Blackspire Stinger is a cheap way to keep the chain from bouncing around so much

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/15...m&zmam=3075515&zmas=1&zmac=30&zmap=075 BLAST6
Chains don't stretch that much. Your chain may have been too long initially but it didn't stretch.

Chains need to be replaced when the pins are 1/4" out of tolerance.

As I said early, a chain guide will capture a chain if the drivetrain has one ring up front. It will not work on a triple chainring.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Isn't the P2 a DJ bike? It will handle differently on the trails than a "trail" bike would. A longer stem might not help your issue.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mtbjen said:
Isn't the P2 a DJ bike? It will handle differently on the trails than a "trail" bike would. A longer stem might not help your issue.
yeah its supposed to be primarily a DJ bike. Its an older one however so its got more mountain capabilities then the newer ones by far.

even if i was just DJing... i still feel like i would like the bars out just a bit... not a lot by any means...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.