Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 Chromag Surface 4130 chromoly steel hardtail 29er. I have pre-ordered a new fork and would like the frame to match the new fork...I know first world problems ;)

Questions

1. How long should it take for a company to paint the frame for me?
2. How much should it cost (single color, nothing fancy)?
3. Should the threaded areas be taped off or/and free of paint when the frame is complete?
4. Would an experienced frame painter paint over installed water bottle bolts?
5. Should the frame weigh more - same - less then when it was weighed with the original paint. ?

I understand these question might seem a little weird, but I am trying to come to a conclusion....pictures to follow.

Thanks

·
Registered
121 Posts
1. One day to paint, probably a week to cure. Maybe 2. Plus whatever lead time the shop has.
2. ~160 auto paint pearl plus clear coat. ~150 powdercoat were my quotes.
3. YES. Massive headache if threads not taped. You will hate yourself for not taping if you have to clean the threads up afterwards. Ask the shop to protect the threads.
4.possibly. I'd take them out and protect threads.
5. Too much variable to really answer that...

·
Workin for the weekend!
1,341 Posts
Any thought to using a conversion coating on the steel to improve paint adhesion and corrosion resistance? Makes a helluva difference.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here some pics that would not upload yesterday.

I would like some insight into the pictures and how you would handle the situation...if indeed there is one ;)

thanks
STEVE

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
Good lord! Right over the bottle cage bolts! You should probably have them sandblast and redo it properly... Getting the paint out of the threads so you can get a BB in there is going to take some time!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts