Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well ,just got my Vassago all put together last night and this being my first single speed it was quite different to say the least.My question is about the rear single Chris King 20 tooth cog,is there supposed to be some type of clips or something for the cog to stay on the hub or is the snug fit all that I need? Thanks guys..CF..

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
You need a lockring for your hub, very similiar to what you use with a cassette. You will also need spacers so the cog and spacers take up all of the cassette body. Without these, your cog will just slide off the end of the cassette body.

·
Banned
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Manicmtbr said:
You need a lockring for your hub, very similiar to what you use with a cassette. You will also need spacers so the cog and spacers take up all of the cassette body. Without these, your cog will just slide off the end of the cassette body.
Can I get this stuff at any old LBS? You would think the people who sold me this new bike would have sent all this stuff with the build kit right? Trust me I'm holding back on this one,this has been the biggest nightmare dealing with the people who sold me this bike. Thanks Manicmtbr..:thumbsup: CF..

·
'Calm Down'
855 Posts
You can only get stuff from a King dealer and not every LBS is one. Assuming it's a King SS hub - it comes stock with the cog, 2 spacers, and lock ring.

You'll need:
  • King BMX/Single Speed lockring (as seen here)
  • Spacers as seen here. They don't have to be King spacers, any hub/bottom bracket spacers will work. The hub comes stock with two 5mm spacers, so you need 10mm total.
  • Cog - Your choice, you don't have to use a King.

jw

CRAZY FRED said:
Can I get this stuff at any old LBS? You would think the people who sold me this new bike would have sent all this stuff with the build kit right? Trust me I'm holding back on this one,this has been the biggest nightmare dealing with the people who sold me this bike. Thanks Manicmtbr..:thumbsup: CF..

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
GrumpyOne said:
You can only get stuff from a King dealer and not every LBS is one. Assuming it's a King SS hub - it comes stock with the cog, 2 spacers, and lock ring.

You'll need:
  • King BMX/Single Speed lockring (as seen here)
  • Spacers as seen here. They don't have to be King spacers, any hub/bottom bracket spacers will work. The hub comes stock with two 5mm spacers, so you need 10mm total.
  • Cog - Your choice, you don't have to use a King.

jw
Fred....yes

just got to your favorite LBS and get any old lockring, ask for some spacers. Get a few different sizes so you can make sure your chainline can be fiddled with (ie, trying different spacer combos) but its real easy...or just bring the bike and have them setup you I9 rear wheel for you to make sure its ready to rock!

cheers

·
Bodhisattva
10,866 Posts
FoShizzle said:
Fred....yes

just got to your favorite LBS and get any old lockring, ask for some spacers. Get a few different sizes so you can make sure your chainline can be fiddled with (ie, trying different spacer combos) but its real easy...or just bring the bike and have them setup you I9 rear wheel for you to make sure its ready to rock!
I AGREE WITH FOSHIZZLE

chur

·
Banned
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How bout this?

I just went and bought a SS kit,that came with three spacers and a 16 tooth cass.with a clip inside of that 16 tooth cog. Please tell me this will work.I got to tell you I'm so close to ripping this bike shop for the nightmare of a time it has been buying this bike from them.My White Ind.Eno. cranks "NO CRANK BOLTS" can't use them,thank Ghod my boy had a brand new set of Middleburns SS cranks on hand.The BB that came with the ENO.cranks is complete junk(mind you this is the SECOND one) because when they got the first one thay said it was no good so they ordered me another one(which took almost two weeks)My buddie said he could barly spin the cranks by hand. I order this Vassago Jabbor walky and build kit MARCH 26,and maybe just MAYBE I'll get to ride it tomorrow. BTW the rear hub is a I9..Thanks guys.I'll be posting pictures of the bike later today.(If I don't smash first).Truth is dealing with these clowns I almost don't even want to ride this thing they runied it for me.They took all the wind right out of my rigid 29er SS sail..As always thanks for everything guys.CF..

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
Stay calm .... serenity is the key :D

If you have problems, get your favorite shop to help you.

The 16 tooth cog is probably too small if you want to climb too (don't know what size chainring you have, though).

·
wawe member
892 Posts
The W.I. ENO cranks don't come with crank bolts, but pretty much every bike shop should have them in stock. The W.I. BB requires just the right torque (read: light, almost loose) on the non-drive side, if it is installed in a ham fisted manner there will be too much pre-load on the bearings and they will not turn very well. Once the preload is right the lockring needs to be snugged up with a hook spanner (Park Spanner) while you hold the cup in place with a BB tool. I've been using a W.I. BB for a couple months with no problems, I wouldn't call it "junk" but it is more finiky to setup than a cartridge or external BB. You could just get a Shimano cartridge BB, it will be heavier but easier to use.

Ryan

·
Banned
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
perttime said:
Stay calm .... serenity is the key :D

If you have problems, get your favorite shop to help you.

The 16 tooth cog is probably too small if you want to climb too (don't know what size chainring you have, though).
I'm not going to use the 16 tooth cog I was asking if the lock clip that comes with the 16 tooth cog with fit on my CK 20 tooth cog? Also what cranks do you think are nicer thw W.I.'s ENO's or the Middleburns? Thanks.CF..

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
The lockrings are pretty standard stuff. Not sure what exactly you have, though.

I just put a singlespeed cog on a Hope hub and it (and the spacers) is held by a lockring that used to hold the cassette on a Deore hub.

Cranks? Haven't got a clue. Just happily running Shimano LX and Saint on my bikes :)

·
Banned
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
perttime,

perttime said:
The lockrings are pretty standard stuff. Not sure what exactly you have, though.

I just put a singlespeed cog on a Hope hub and it (and the spacers) is held by a lockring that used to hold the cassette on a Deore hub.

Cranks? Haven't got a clue. Just happily running Shimano LX and Saint on my bikes :)
I thank you sir. CF...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.