Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received my Shimano xt drivetrain and I'm adding it to an external bottom bracket. I'm replacing an internal bb that came on the bike. I've dealt with externals before but only with bikes that came with external setup already. So my question is there a for sure way to snug the non-drive side crank arm so there's no play but not too tight to where it won't stress the bb? I watched a few videos and understand but wasn't sure if someone here had a method of doing this so it's just right.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
This has always seemed like the least critical preload adjustment on the bike, just snug it to where there is no lateral play without creating any noticeable increase in drag on the cranks free spinning(no chain) and it will be fine.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Shimano posts a torque range for everything (probably because they have to), but the above advice is good. Start with 'snug', and then tighten the pinch bolts a bit. Check for play, and repeat until it is gone.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.