Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is sort of a noobish question but I am curious about how my bike shifts and if any of you experience the same problem. When I am shifting to a low gear (small to big sprocket) if I press the lever lightly it clicks, and the derailleur wants to move cause I can hear it gringing against the next gear, but it doesnt or the shifting is delayed. However, if I push the lever with more pressure the shifter clicks and the derailleur shifts easily. Is this normal? Does it just take a bit of muscle to get a clean shift?

·
Registered
14,873 Posts
When I am shifting to a low gear (small to big sprocket) if I press the lever lightly it clicks, and the derailleur wants to move cause I can hear it gringing against the next gear, but it doesnt or the shifting is delayed. However, if I push the lever with more pressure the shifter clicks and the derailleur shifts easily. Is this normal? Does it just take a bit of muscle to get a clean shift?
It is normal. You may need a little more tension in the cable but even if adjusted perfectly most systems will hesitate or not shift if you barely click the lever. They all have a bit of overshift built in so if you click the lever solidly it pulls the cable a little farther before settling into it's normal position.

·
T.W.O.
8,168 Posts
If you hear or feel any grinding you may want to back off the pedaling power. It takes practice but you can shift on the climb up or down the gear without any problem, just time you shifting. Throw in a couple of hard revolutions then lighten your pedaling as you shift, it would be like butter.:)

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Unless you are really pushing hard on the pedals, it sounds like the cable is just a hair too loose.
Very common, and one reason the barrel adjusters are on the bike. I sometimes have to adjust my barrel while climbing if the bike hesitates to go into a lower gear.

·
Bikesexual
7,568 Posts
I've experienced the same, at one point my chain came off. I think is a timing thing, just like a car, and that is what takes some time to get used to. I've to say it is the part of my riding that has improved the most... not there yet but feel much better about my timing when changing gears.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts