Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
"I declare Martian Law!"
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 16" Giant Anthem bike. As far as fit, everything seems great EXCEPT for the fact that with the 350mm seatpost out to it's max, I still need another 3/4" or so to get to my usual riding height. I'm a short guy (5'5"), so this seems kind of odd. And it's not just this frame, I've seen the same thing on similar full-suspension bikes. Is this normal? Any problems with going with a 400mm seatpost that sticks out about 10" from the seatpost clamp?

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Each seatpost has a limit, if you want to exceed the indicated limit it's your risk. You might get away with it, who knows. I would definitely check out a 400mm post if the 350 is only 19 mm over the limit, the 400 should be fine. Are you 5'5" with long legs?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
As a general rule, you should have at least 4" of your post inside the seat tube, to not put undue stress on the seat tube. Also, the "minimum insert" line on most posts is only there to protect the post, not your frame.

If you have less than 4" inserted into your seat tube, you should get a long post.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Just curious where you got the 4" from pixelninja... I've never heard that one before. Most of the "minimum insertion" marks are about 2 1/2 to 3 in. that I've seen. Just curious if that number is written somewhere.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
dnlwthrn said:
Just curious where you got the 4" from pixelninja... I've never heard that one before. Most of the "minimum insertion" marks are about 2 1/2 to 3 in. that I've seen. Just curious if that number is written somewhere.
Its not a hard fast rule, and each bike manufacture is going to be different, but the last person who told me that was Sherwood Gibson, owner and operator of Ventana Mountain Bikes. He was speaking, of course, about his own line of bikes, but IMO, its a good rule to live by.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.