Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been getting some conflicting information to my current situation, so allow me a question or two.

Basics, I'm a new clyde rider, at 6'4" 340 from what I've seen I'm one of the heavier guys here, and I now have a new ride, an Iron Horse Maverick 5.5 21.5" which I really enjoy, and have ridden it a few times for a few miles building my endurance for my commute to work, but right now my posterior hurts enough that I don't want to get back on.

I've heard two takes, new saddle, or shorts, I still have the stock seat (WTB Speed V Sport SE) which I thought would be fine, but damn.

So please assist, should I go for a wider saddle, or am I just going to hate life until I get a pair of shorts?

·
Registered
63 Posts
allright- If I were you (and at one point I was- 6'5" and 320) I would go down to your local specialized dealer and get yourself a 155 width avatar. DO NOT get the Alias. While it's more comfortable than the avatar, that's because it flexes like crazy, and within three rides the alias will be toast. It took me six rides, but I don't weigh 320 anymore... Specialized corporate advised me to get the avatar after my alias blew it, and it's been great so far... And make sure you get the 155 width saddle, as it sounds like that's probably closer to your sitbone width than the other saddles are going to be...

·
long standing member
3,099 Posts
FeuerFrei said:
So please assist, should I go for a wider saddle, or am I just going to hate life until I get a pair of shorts?
FWIW, you probably will be sore until you get accustomed to the pressure of the saddle. Shorts with a chamois will help a lot, but time in the saddle is the biggest thing.

Also, as was mentioned, a wider saddle may help. I'm running a WTB Power V DH saddle and find it comfortable, much more so than the Speed V I've got on my commuter. The Power V is extra long which I like, it allows me to move up on the nose of the saddle when climbing steeper terraing, without too much discomfort. I like aika's suggestion of the Specialized, I didn't realize they came in various widths. When I'm in the market again I may have to check them out.

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
FeuerFrei said:
have ridden it a few times for a few miles building my endurance for my commute to work, but right now my posterior hurts enough that I don't want to get back on.
If that is the only cycling you have done for a while, it is not surprising that the saddle hurts you.

That is to be expected.

Usually it gets better in a while. Padded shorts is a good idea in general, although I am one of the few who seem to be coping OK without. Wider and softer is not necessarily better in seats. The width of the seat is supposed to fit the bones at the bottom of your hip bone. I found that I just sink too deep into a soft seat, increasing chafing.

If your seat is not in the perfect position (heigh, forward and back, angle) all sorts of problems from fingers to knees can occur, your backside included.

I found my seat by sitting on several different ones at a LBS. The Specialized system for seat sizing makes sense too.

·
Brackish
1,855 Posts
perttime said:
If that is the only cycling you have done for a while, it is not surprising that the saddle hurts you.

That is to be expected.

Usually it gets better in a while. Padded shorts is a good idea in general, although I am one of the few who seem to be coping OK without. Wider and softer is not necessarily better in seats. The width of the seat is supposed to fit the bones at the bottom of your hip bone. I found that I just sink too deep into a soft seat, increasing chafing.

If your seat is not in the perfect position (heigh, forward and back, angle) all sorts of problems from fingers to knees can occur, your backside included.

I found my seat by sitting on several different ones at a LBS. The Specialized system for seat sizing makes sense too.
Second all of the above, it just takes some getting used to and finding the right saddle and position. Welcome to cycling, it's a great sport!

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
shorts and time...and proper adjustment...

i got back into cycling just a month ago (after about 10 years off)... my taint was killing me... i picked up some cycling shorts and that took the edge off significantly... with time it almost was completly gone... last week i did some more fine tunning of the saddle position... moved it forward a tad namey... and have been great ever sence... i still need to try a 2hr road ride to be sure it's fine but on the road it's been fine up to 1hr. i've found the saddle comfort matters less out in the woods but thats just me... I use a lot more body english which means i'm in and out of the saddle.

·
Making fat cool since '71
1,840 Posts
It seems to have been well covered already, but I can't resist...!

I encourage everyone to give a new to them saddle at least two weeks of riding. Sometimes you just "know" but often it's a process of getting used to the seat (your sit bones that is). My favorite mtb seat is the WTB Power V. It's a bit wider and longer, strong as well.

Riding shorts (w/chamois) are an excellent idea as well.

Being new/returning to riding there is going to be some discomfort. Your body just isn't used to it. Get some shorts and give the seat some more rides before you pop for a new one and as mentioned above: proper adjustment. There is the "industry standard" of dead flat (parallel with the floor) but it's not "perfect" for everyone. Addtionally, you may need to slide the seat fore/aft a few mm to get it dialed just perfect, maybe.

Brock...

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,891 Posts
WTB also makes the Comfort V, which is about 175mm wide. The Specialized Milano is of similar width.

I have one of each in addition to the Specialized Alias and Avatar and a couple other WTB saddles. The Avatar and Alias were OK for me, butt I prefer the wider WTB Comfort V, even on my road bike.

Remember, saddle comfort is very subjective. One man's nirvana is another man's arse-hatchet. Except for any Coda saddle, they are every man's arse-hatchet :eekster: ;)

·
Registered
63 Posts
frauer- I used to ride whatever saddle came on my bike. I went ten years on a pro-flex with the stock saddle, 2 years on a fuji roubaix roadbike with the stock saddle, and when I got my Turner right before my shoulder surgery (due to the roadbike), I finally said to hell with it, and my brother "supersinge" bought me a specialized. I'm here to tell you, with chamois shorts, and the new saddle, I have NEVER been sore, not even after the first ride. So don't believe that every saddle has to hurt, just believe that I'm a hardass. Seriously though, it shouldn't feel like somebody's butterflying your arsehole open. Good luck searching- I still recommend the alias 155. Great performance, width for the fatties...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.