Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I plan to add a front disc to my offroad fixie and was wonder if I should go 160mm or 170mm rotor/brake setup. This would be my first foray into the world of disc brakes. Bike would be used for 50% offroad and 50% commute. I am 250lbs and would be using a nashbar rigid fork. Brake would be an avid bb7. Any advice would be much appreciated.

thanks

·
stick
182 Posts
I use a 160mm and it's fine for everything I've needed. I don't think you really need more than that unless you're doing DH/FR stuff. I think 160mms are a fair bit more common anyways, so easier to fix or find replacements if something goes awry.

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
I have a 160mm on my 29er FMTB. You are not going real fast with the need to scrub speed on a dirt fixed, like on a freewheel bike.

·
Registered
7,490 Posts
I use a large rotor - not because it gives more powerful braking, but because it makes it easier to keep on doing one finger braking on long rides.

·
I am the owl
1,908 Posts
It's simple: use the same rotor size as you would for your weight and riding style as you would on a non fixed gear bike. There is no reason not to. If you plan on doing anything long and steep off road you are going to want plenty of front brake because slowing with your legs is going to do little unless you want to be skidding your way down the mountain. And that means no control and shreddding the trails and no one wants that.

·
---
76 Posts
I just put on a 185 BB7 to replace my first generation Avid 160. Fresh rotor and pads give the brake plenty of power but it's hard to tell the difference between the sizes. Figured the larger rotor wouldn't hurt but wouldn't consider it necessary.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.