Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

If there is anyone out there who has ridden both a reign and a Glory then I need some advice.

I mostly ride all mountain type spins, and do some DH racing (in Ireland). Last summer I bought a Reign 1. I love it, it’s by far the best all round bike I have ever had. It climbs fine, the weight is fine but it handles so well on the downs. So much so I have been thinking of getting a Glory DH.

I currently race DH on a VP Free. Its old though and had its day, the shock is shot and the bearing are going quicker and quicker (3 months out of the last set of bearing), that’s Irish weather for ya. Linkage is also knackered, rocking in directions it shouldn’t etc. Anyway a new DH Frame is on the cards. My thinking was simple, I absolutely love the reign, I have never been as comfortable descending on a bike. I would even pick it over the VP Free on some of the tamer DH runs. So would a Glory just be a bigger better version?

Any opinions would be welcome.

Sean

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
yes. I assume your keeping your reign? if so, then the glory DH would be much better then either the reign or the VP free...like way better. The VP free is essentially a big version of the reign with VPP instead of meastro. I like meastro alot better then VPP because VPP has a really dead feeling and meastro is much more lively, so i can understand liking the reign better for the decents where you dont need that extra travel.

The VP Free isn't really a true DH bike. Its a big AM/FR bike - like if you put the nomad on steroids. The Glory DH is longer, slacker, and has way more travel then the reign. Its much more stable at speeds and corners really well. Its not strictly a "finesse" bike, although it can be used that way, nor is it a complete plow - it has a bit of both.

However, if youre thinking of selling the reign and the VP Free for the glory DH i would highly advise against it. The Glory DH pedals quite well for a 9 inch travel DH bike, but it does NOT go up hill well. If you're ever going to have to pedal up the hill, get the glory 0, not the DH.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I bought an X1 in 2007, it has impressed me so much, I am getting an 08 glory dh as my new race rig, and i used to be an IH Sunday whore. They are great bikes

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks lads,

I think I will keep the reign and replace the VP Free with a Glory DH. It sounds like the best option.

Now all I have to do is convience the wife that a new frame is more important that a new oven.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Good luck on that point...ha ha ha!
Maybe if you finese the situation with a few statements about how much healthier you may become and how it will improve your S-Drive in the big black room department, she may accquiest...?:thumbsup:

Sean H said:
Thanks lads,

I think I will keep the reign and replace the VP Free with a Glory DH. It sounds like the best option.

Now all I have to do is convience the wife that a new frame is more important that a new oven.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually, does anyone known good online retailiers that ship to eurpe? Or course there are plenty in europe, but sometimes it can work out cheaper.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts