Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Manitou Dorado Expert on my downhill bike. I love the fork!

Decided to rebuild it, and am working on the air leg now. Not planning to disassemble the compression rod - too complicated. Just replacing all other seals and the fluid.

The question: when I put the compression rod back into the inner leg, a cylindrical air chamber is formed. When I push the compression rod deeper into the inner leg, it acts like a spring. Is this how it's supposed to be, or it should move freely without spring-like resistance? Is there some air passage inside the compression rod to equalize the pressure in this chamber with the rest of the fork, but is blocked now? Is there some simple test to figure out if my compression rod is OK?

Honestly, I don't understand the design, why is there more than one air chamber inside? Could someone explain how this multi-chamber design works? or point me to a www that explains it?

Thank you.

·
Registered
11,837 Posts
Two air chambers in that leg. Positive is between the piston and the bottom (dropout end). Negative is between the piston at the top-cap with the shaft protruding through.

Depressing the schrader valve core opens a port that equalises the two. This happens when you connect a pump.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, this makes sense. I still have it in pieces, i.e. not mounted in the outer leg. I depressed the valve, and could get the air equalized between the two chambers at several positions of the compression rod wrt the inner leg. It feels a bit flaky though: takes a second or more to get the air start hissing after depressing the valve. Does it sound right or I have a problem? Or should the air start flowing immediately? The center of the valve is sticking out about 1mm as described in the manual.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.