Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question for you guys. I have raced my Salsa Beargrease quite a few times over the 3 years I have had it. Most of the races say that they require 3.8" tires. I used to have wider rims/ tires and was never concerned. I now have 27.5x3.8 Hodag's on 45mm rims, and 26" Dillinger 4's on 65mm rims. I don't think either of them measure 3.8", but both say they are on the sidewall.

Am I skirting the rules/ making a questionable choice to race "Fat Bike" category on these setups?

I didn't put these wheelsets together with that purpose, but through trying different setups over the years, this is what I have found to be the most fun and capable in my area. Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Is there anyone measuring tires on the start line?
I doubt it.
I run Hodags on 50mm rims and never had an issue at a race....especially considering the fatbike class is for shitz and giggles.

·
Registered
513 Posts
There are several races in upstate NY that use the criteria laid out here...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatbike

This means 3.8" tires and 2.16"(55mm) wide rims.

I have been wondering about this myself because I wanted a set of 50mm Durocs but they may be "illegal". I have a set of Jackalopes now but they're 80mm and not the lightest. Also, they're no good for riding rock strewn trails because there is no rim protection unless I ride with Barbegazis or Gnarwhals.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did ask one race locally about it. They said that the requirement states 3.8" on the tires, but that the race director could interpret that rule how he saw fit, including measurement.
This made me ask the question to a wider audience.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I have never known it to be anything other than a listed tire size. The Fat Bike Birkie simply requires "at least 3.5" wide tires". It does not say labelled or installed width, but 3.5" probably has one running 3.8" tires covered either way.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
That's how it works in most racing forms of any type.
So in that case, OP would knowingly run a smaller than advertised tire (by measurement) and likely be disqualified if they were the overall winner.

OP could say "i didn't know" but the director has to believe that then. I guess the point would be -if you think you will win it's probably best to run a tire that physically measure the minimum requirement and not take manufacturer tolerances into consideration.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I have never seen anybody enforce anything other than what the tire says on the sidewall. With that said - some of the bikes that I have raced against had obviously smaller tires/wheel set up on than I did while I ran the typical 65mm wheel/3.8-4" tires. I just figured if it is that important for people to do well in the fat bike class, they can have it.

Personally - if I wanted to race a 27.5+ set up, I would enter the regular mtb class with it...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.