Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just got a Redline D460. Love the bike, but I didn't realize how used to a front suspension I was. I can see me putting a front shock on someday.

Here's my question. I know it not quite apples to apples, but on my 26 inch bike, it's very easy to compress the suspension then pull up to go over logs, rocks, etc. The 29er is much heavier and harder to get the front end up, even though it's actually lighter than my 26. .

If I put a front shock on the 29er, can I expect it to be easier to get the front end up?

·
Expert Crasher
6,359 Posts
I found the opposite when going from my Sultan to my Monocog Flight - lofting that rigid was a ton easier - so much so, the first few times I'd lift the front (until I'd settled down and adjusted to the rigid), I'd way over shoot. First few log obstacles I tried to clear, I felt like the Lone Ranger on the back of the rearing Silver. :arf:

You've gotta practice! Curb hop everything in your neighborhood to re-synch the brain function that judges timing and motion. Not only is this bike bigger than your 26", the dynamics are different. Take that step back and go relearn. It'll come quickly.

Stick with the rigid - it's a ton-o-fun when you get used to it and learn the traits. There is something inherently fun and right about a rigid (and SS) steel frame ride that just makes the whole world right.

·
Stayin' Puft
1,241 Posts
Well...I am not a big fan of suspension, but compressing it to help loft the front wheel during climbing I would not think of as a primary reason to get a sus fork. Climbing, many people lock out their sus forks. Try running a taller gear and use your legs pedaling the gear to help loft the front end sort of like pulling a wheelie on the street. On my rigid bikes I normally don't have to try very hard to loft the front end.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks thus far. Maybe it's just me having to get used to the new style and size. I lowered my tire pressure today and found I am getting more used to the bike and how to handle it.

I actually like the simpler gearing and the way it handles. I also found the geometry is more stable when I go over big things and come down. Sometimes the fork compresses felt like it put me too far forward. If my body can handle it, I might try to stay rigid.

·
Expert Crasher
6,359 Posts
glahnb said:
If my body can handle it, I might try to stay rigid.
In my experience, the best change I made to "adjust" to rigid riding was using a high sweep bar - in my case, the Titec H-bar. It allowed my wrists a more natural angle and enabled me to 'ride light' better than a typical flat bar.

Again, my opinion here, but you can't have any more fun on a bike than a rigid SS. I go faster on my Sultan and longer - but the smiles for miles factor is just as big on my rigid SS.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
faster on your sultan?

GreenLightGo said:
In my experience, the best change I made to "adjust" to rigid riding was using a high sweep bar - in my case, the Titec H-bar. It allowed my wrists a more natural angle and enabled me to 'ride light' better than a typical flat bar.

Again, my opinion here, but you can't have any more fun on a bike than a rigid SS. I go faster on my Sultan and longer - but the smiles for miles factor is just as big on my rigid SS.
Are sure about that. There is no way your fully squish is faster with those big 'o tires.

Time yourself on both....;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.