Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello from Los Angeles,

I have to make a quick stop in Eureka, CA for one day at the very beginning of July. I was hoping to take advantage of riding the Paradise Royale Trail while I am (somewhat?) in the area.

I have no idea where this trail is in relation to Eureka. I know that it is south and that it is in the "Lost Coast" area. But that doesn't tell me much since I have never been anywhere near that area.

How do I get to this trail from Eureka and approx. how long would it take me to get there? I'm trying to figure out if it's too out of the way.

Also, I hear that I need to drive along a dirt road for a couple miles to get to the trailhead. What is the condition of this road? Is it something that I could get through with a small SUV?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
410 Posts
It's slow going on pavement from Eureka, especially during tourist season. Google or mapquest it or whatever for time. The dirt road is nada, though. Just a short drive on a good quality dirt road.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's slow going on pavement from Eureka, especially during tourist season. Google or mapquest it or whatever for time. The dirt road is nada, though. Just a short drive on a good quality dirt road.
Thanks for the info. Where is the trail located, though? I need a location in order to map quest/google something..

·
Like a boss.
662 Posts
Drive to Garberville. Head west towards Shelter Cove. 4 miles before you get to Shelter Cove, there's a dirt road off to the right called King Peak Road. Make a right. Drive for like 5 minutes and you're at the trailhead.

Or, you know, USE THE GOOGLE.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I's about 45 min out of your way on the way up through Garberville. Dirt will be marbly, trail will be fun, weather will be warm. Sometime this year the connector should be done, 8 more miles of s-track that will make the dirt road unnecessary and cut 15 minutes or so off the drive. That'll make it a 28 mile 100% singletrack ride....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info, everyone. Can someone recommend a good campsite (tent site) somewhere near Paradise Royale Trail? Preferably nothing south of that area, as I have to drive north up to Oregon the next day.

Thanks! :)

·
heaven help me
2,889 Posts
There are really nice campsites at the trailhead w/ water and toilets. I think it's $8.00 a day. There is an iron ranger by the bathroom.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There are really nice campsites at the trailhead w/ water and toilets. I think it's $8.00 a day. There is an iron ranger by the bathroom.

Hope this helps.
Since this will be close to the 4th of July...would you recommend making camping reservations beforehand? If so, what's the name of the campsite/how do I make reservations?

Thanks for the info! That was helpful!

·
heaven help me
2,889 Posts
Since this will be close to the 4th of July...would you recommend making camping reservations beforehand? If so, what's the name of the campsite/how do I make reservations?

Thanks for the info! That was helpful!

Here is a good link.
Northcoast Bike Rides: MTB- Paradise Royale

I'm not sure if the campsites are 1st come 1st serve. You could check out the BLM website.

·
Over it
3,799 Posts
We were there the 2nd week of July last year, and shared the campsite with one other group. I'm pretty sure it's first-come, but I can't imagine it filling up. You could always roll down to Shelter Cove if it was.

It's a great trail! And I could play in the skills park for hours. Do it!

·
I like mtn biking, too
3,205 Posts
I have never seen Tolkan (the campground at the trailhead) full and although I haven't been there this year, I've gone maybe like 3 other times? 4? You can call the BLM office if you want to double-check. There is another campsite just a little bit further down the dirt road from Tolkan which is always completely empty. Be aware it's 13 miles of trail and a bike park. It's an awesome 13 miles and an incredible bike park and worth visiting. But you can exhaust this in a day. I can't wait for the extension to be completed. You may want to also research other trails in Mendo/Humboldt, or plan other activities. There are a couple of nice beaches in Shelter Cove and great hiking in the King Range, even some surfing in the cove on a good day, but otherwise not a whole lot going on there. The campground is pretty quiet and it's a nice getaway if you just want to chillax and get away from it all for the weekend.

·
NedwannaB
12,768 Posts
Keeping in mind

Be aware it's 13 miles of trail and a bike park. It's an awesome 13 miles and an incredible bike park and worth visiting. But you can exhaust this in a day. I can't wait for the extension to be completed.
Doing an out an back just shy of the section coming back up into Tolken would put enough trail miles in and surely to exhaust you. That's my plan next time I'm up there!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts