Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at a small bike shop in southern NH. They had a bike listed as a 2013 Trek EX 5. It was Black and gold and was a great looking bike. I test rode it and it fit well. The Price was $1279 new-leftover. It has Recon RL front fork, Fox RP2 Rear, Shimano 545 hydros, deore shifters/drivetrain. So i bought it. I got home and went to register the bike with Trek.......Here is where the fun starts!!!!!

Serial number came back as an EX 6. Went out to the bike and yup says EX 6 on the back. So the shop had the model listed wrong on the tag. I start looking through Trek's site and find that it is actually a 2010 Black, white and gold!!!!! Now I am a bit torn..... Should I have bought a 2010 bike even if it is new? Why do they still have it? I am not sure what to do. Should I bring it back? (it is 170 miles away, but I have an office around the corner that I visit 2-3 times a month). The components seem to be better then the ex 5. The 5 has SRAM X5 components and a Monarch RL rear shock. (they did have a blue ex 5 2013 in blue right next to it so I could bring it back and get the '13 ex 5)

Going to call Trek tomorrow and see about warranty and make sure it hasn't been registered before etc.

But should I consider keeping it or return it for the EX 5 that is 3 years newer????? If I decide to sell it say next year it will be 5 years old.... Not sure if the components really make up for the extra age???? Why did they have it marked as a 2013? I would think the thing had been around for the 3-4 years and they should have known it was that old..... I am discouraged and would like your thoughts please!

Thanks~

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Keep it. I honestly like the rear suspension better on my '08 than my '14. The linkage arm is different.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Even if it is new and unregistered and you have full warranty I wouldn't be happy because of the price that could be good for a 2013 Fuel but not for a 2010 one.

Don't get me wrong the bike is OK (I had a 2013 Fuel Eax 7) but would you initially have bought it if you knew that it was a 2010 model and especially for this price? If I were you I would call the bike shop immediately and explain the situation and ask them either for a partially refund or I would return the bike since they lied to me in order to buy it.

I don't know if you will succeed anything but it is worth to try anyway and worst case scenario if they refuse you will have a good but slightly overpaid bike and the satisfaction that you tried.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I talked to the shop this morning. I must say that I am more then impressed with their response. I explained what I had found and talked to Trek and they veriflied that it was a 2010 sold to them in May 2010. Trek said the warranty would start at the date of purchase so I was covered. I also explained that I would not have paid the purchase price for a 2010 and that checking the 2 different bikes on bike blue book that they difference between the 2 was $207. He listened and immediately apologized and said the saleman should have regodnized that the bike was an older model. I asked what we could do to work it out and that I did like the bike but wouldn't have paid the $1279. He suggested that he credit back $300 to my card making the purchase price $979. I told him that that was VERY fair and accepted his offer!

This shop has totally earned my respect and I would go out of my way to support them in the future!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts