Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got my wheelset in today, and upon inspecting them for damage during shipment, I noticed the hubs do not say SRAM X7, as what they should be specc'd out for according to Rocky Mountain. Instead, they read SRAM mth746 and 716 respectively.

Should I be concerned? Are these the incorrect hubs for what I paid for?

Thanks

·
Registered
9,513 Posts
I believe the '7' in the model numbers signifies they're of the same level as the '7' in X7.
Sometimes OEM parts are slightly different than the parts you'd buy off the shelf; I think that's probably the case with these, though I couldn't tell you what those differences are, or if there are actually any besides labeling.

·
Registered
14,038 Posts
Where did they come from? Oem parts often have different markings. The internals should be what matches the X7 spec.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They came from my lbs, which I also contacted Rocky Mountain if there were any concerns, and they replied saying they are a reputable dealer. I feel confident that these are the correct hubs, but needed a third, un-biased opinion.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
I googled it quick and couldn't find much correlation between the model you have and x7, but did read that the one you had was a newer low tier hub, not really in line with where the x7 falls in srams other product lines

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I might know what you are saying there ou2mamme, I did a quick google search and came across SRAM's specifications for their hubs and the mth746 seems to be a lower tier then the X7, however looking at the actual specs, I couldn't find much of a difference between the two.

I think this might be a question to ask the Rocky guys and call up the lbs I bought this bike from.

·
Registered
9,513 Posts
Truthfully, if they spin and you don't run into problems with them, I wouldn't sweat it. X7's are only like $40 hubs; the only difference you're ever going to notice is that they don't say "X7" on them.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
I blew out a rear hub in 2 seasons and just bought a new wheelset last week because of it. Personally, I would want to make sure that if I bought better quality, I received it.

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts