Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when the rear one was first put on the rear wheel spun freely, but with some friction from the pads. now, the pads have gotten slightly tighter on the disc and when holding the rear tire in the air, after spinning it it slows down fairly quickly and comes to somewhat of an abrupt stop. anyone know whats wrong?

·
pwn3rator
3,640 Posts
many times my brake does that when th' lever is pulled with no wheel on, i first put th' wheel on and then squeeze the lever like five jillion times, by then it is pretty much spinning freely, or it might be that the calipers are out of alignment...

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
bbowman88 said:
tomorow il try the 5 jillion squeezings to see if it works
don't do that... just use a screw driver or something and GENTLY separate the pads.....

if you squeeze the levers while there is nothing inbetween the pads, (that's why stored discbrakes always have a plastic peice or a folded peice of paper inbetween them) they will close or get tighter...

because i am clumbsy, i accidently squeeze mine all the time... :D i would know how to separate them :D :p

·
Banned
11,257 Posts
first, I'm assuming that you're not talking about a rotor that has a bend in it, so that it rubs alternatively on one pad then the other effectively bringing the wheel to a stop without using the brake lever.

now, first we need to know if you have done anything to the brake fluid - bleed, tried to bleed, tried to add, anything?

if not, what you might have is some sticky pistons. remove the wheel and use a plastic tire lever in between the brake pads, levering them back gently until they "bottom out" in their respective bores. reinstall wheel and try again.

if they still stick near the rotor after several squeezes, you might have some dirt or grit contaminating the piston/bore surface. this would require some careful cleaning and partial dissembly, maybe even bleeding.

call Hope USA if you need more specific help or if all I've done is confuse you. HAH.

Hope Tech web page, includes phone numbers

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
rotors are straight as an arrow. they were squezed with no rotor in them, but were then pryed apart and wheel was reinstalled. at this point they spun more freely then they do now, after some riding.

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
bbowman88 said:
rotors are straight as an arrow. they were squezed with no rotor in them, but were then pryed apart and wheel was reinstalled. at this point they spun more freely then they do now, after some riding.
ta da...

or is it tuh duh? w/e as long as it works !

·
Banned
11,257 Posts
without seeing the brakes, I would guess that when you squeezed the lever w/o the wheel in there, one or both of the pistons popped ALL THE WAY out of its bore, causing some air to get in the fluid and perhaps some crud into the piston/bore interface, as I mentioned in my earlier post.

that's just my guess.

I would suggest that you try calling HopeTech, they really are helpful. you may have to wait a few mins for the tech person to get off another call, but I've found them always patient and helpful.

don't be surprised if you end up having to remove the caliper from the bike, including removing the brake line itself (which means you'll have to bleed 'em now anyway) just to be able to really inspect what the piston/bore interface looks like.

·
Banned
11,257 Posts
bbowman88 said:
wow i hope no crud that would suck
it would... but think of it this way. in the process you will learn how to bleed your brakes and inspect your caliper for damage, and in the end, your brakes will work properly.

sucks while you're doing it for sure, but way better after it's done. next time you might be the one telling us how to fix it. :cool:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.