Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting new wheels. Want to put my current tires on my new wheels as they are just a couple of months old and have a lot of life left. The question is how OCD do I need to be when cleaning out the tires to reinstall on the new wheel? Im using orange seal which doesn't have boogers but does have some strings of lose sealant. I was thinking of just pulling out any lose strings of sealant and cleaning the bead. Or is there a compelling reason to thoroughly clean it out.

·
Evolutionsverlierer
3,082 Posts
Just did that.
The place where I paid attention to were the beads.
I made sure I removed all the dried up stuff.
The inside of the tire not so much, just got the worst out.

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
8,322 Posts
clean the bead
remove any lumps that would be high speed wobble on pavement

should be enough
----
I clean it all off, to shave all grams possible...since I am already right there able to pick at it

Reactions: sgltrak

·
Registered
9,630 Posts
I use to spend quite a bit of time cleaning out every bit of old sealant residue. Last few times I did minimal and both times resealing was identical. I will add my Stan's usually has minimal residue whereas Orange seal left what looked like a snakeskin shedding. OS was definitely left behind a lot of residue that I couldn't ignore.

·
high pivot witchcraft
6,705 Posts
I let the Orange Seal Endurance dry and peel it off. I have got better at it after lots of tire swaps lately (don’t ask). It only takes me a few minutes now to get pretty much all of it out. Why not? I see no upside in not cleaning it out. It doesn’t take long to do a pretty thorough job.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.