Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some advice- my sherman breakout plus has sprung an oil leak down by the blue rebound damper adjuster. Does anyone have any advice (other than "buy a *insert your favorite fork manufacturer here*!") as to a good way to better seal this?

Loc-tite? Teflon tape?

thanks!

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
greenridr said:
Looking for some advice- my sherman breakout plus has sprung an oil leak down by the blue rebound damper adjuster. Does anyone have any advice (other than "buy a *insert your favorite fork manufacturer here*!") as to a good way to better seal this?

Loc-tite? Teflon tape?

thanks!
Maybe you just need to replace the o-ring that is down there, where the damper shaft screws into the casting.

_MK

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
First, make sure the threads are tight. Check Answer's website for a step-by-step pictorial. http://www.answerproducts.com/serviceguides.asp

Second, Manitous do leak a little bit, so if it's just some oil on the surface, that is normal. Make sure to change your oil periodically and it won't be a problem.

Third, if it's leaking enough to drip, remove the o-ring, take it to the hardware store, and get a new one for less than $1 (get the clear kind (nylon? polyurethane?), not the black neoprene kind).

·
Registered
166 Posts
I had a similar problem with my -05 Flick. Fixed it by doing this:

-Remove the rebound knob
-Tighten and loosen the 8 mm (?) hex nut a couple of times. In my case the o-ring or whatever is on the inside hadn't seated properly which caused the fork to leak. The tightening/loosening trick helps the ring get seated properly. No more leaking!
-Put the rebound knob back

Oh and btw., the nut is reverse threaded, so turn clockwise to loosen and anticlockwise to tighten..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.