Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son is one year old. I have been pushing my wife for a tricycle but she keeps saying he is too young. I am thinking that I will get him one anyway when he is 18 months old. For those of you with kids, what was the earliest you put your son/daughter on a bike/trike?

Obligatory pics of my son adjusting my brakes.

·
...idios...
5,662 Posts
Try Like-a-Bike (link). Suits ages 2 and up and are great for helping them learn about balance and steering without the added confusion of pedalling.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Most kids don't figure out how to pedal until they're around 3 y/o. Things like control and the ability to pedal up slight grades are fairly sketchy even after that. They're all different, of course.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SteveUK said:
Try Like-a-Bike (link). Suits ages 2 and up and are great for helping them learn about balance and steering without the added confusion of pedalling.

Perfect! Thanks. I guess I could just take the drive train off a bike.

·
Class Clown
2,959 Posts
how about one of those big wheels, those things rule

as for what age i have no idea. the bike manufacturer will most likely state an age range.

·
Registered
635 Posts
My daughter couldn't pedal her little red trike until she was going on 4. However we always took her on rides in a trailer. Try one of those, they're awesome for kids (and parents too.)

·
Registered
15,737 Posts
rabidchicken said:
I found these on ebay! Looks like fun.

ETA: I am going to be in so much trouble with the wife. i just ordered one for $88.00.

I bet his feet don't even touch the ground. People usually get their kids on those things at ages 2-4.

He looks like he just learned how to walk, yes? Just my opinion, but I'd let him work on his toddling gait and later his running gait before adding machinery. As much as you want him to be a biker, his neurologic system has a ways to go just for normal ambulation.

·
magaw country
68 Posts
just listen to your gut instinct on this one. My daughter has loved riding bikes since the first time she laid eyes on one. That strider would probably be a little too much of a challenge for a one year old, but then again you never know. I would start out with a really small tricycle. Anyway my little one was riding a twelve inch bike without training wheels when she was three, what really helped her learn to ditch the training wheels was a little razor scooter but i started her out on a three wheeled barbie scooter for toddlers. Good Luck

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We have a trailer and he loves it. He scoots around the living room on his dump truck. If he doesn't get the hang of it, then he will at least have it for when he gets older.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
So here is my 2.7y/o on a LikeABike.

She can't figure out the trike thing. But she chases her brother around the cul-de-sac on the glide bike. She's already picking up her feet on the downhills.

We've had it around all the time. But it wasn't until recently that her inseam was long enough that she felt comfortable sitting on it and pushing off. Before, she would just walk the bike.

But once you get them on a glide bike, then they transition to pedal bikes in about a minute.

Then they are terrorizing paths on their bmx.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts