Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I know my size, why would I bother buying a bike from a bike shop? Its to test out the bike right? So why do people recommend places like Ibex where I cant test ride the bike? Also what if bike shops in my area dont have the bike I want?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to sort out some of what Ive read so far in these and other fourms.

~pk3

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
yeah it's to test ride and see how it fits. But it's also to have repair and maintenance support. A lbs usually give you 1 years maintenance free on any new bike. Plus if the frame brakes or you have a warranty issue then you go back to your lbs. For some people these are important reasons. Personally, I do all my own repairs and have no problem finding a bike that fits so I have no problem with mail order and the Internet.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I've always said to people that if you're going to buy from Ibex or the other online retailers, you'd better know what you want, and how you want it to fit. Granted, these places have a 30-day return policy (just like most LBSs), but you get dinged for shipping both ways. I've never recommended buying online to a rider just getting started, as you probably don't know what you want. Like Maida7 said, also, you have the maintenance and repair/warranty issue to contend with as well. There's no reason you can't buy from Ibex or whathaveyou, but these are some reasons I wouldn't recommend it unless you know what you want.

Ross

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,290 Posts
MSU_Grad_121 said:
I've always said to people that if you're going to buy from Ibex or the other online retailers, you'd better know what you want, and how you want it to fit. Granted, these places have a 30-day return policy (just like most LBSs), but you get dinged for shipping both ways. I've never recommended buying online to a rider just getting started, as you probably don't know what you want. Like Maida7 said, also, you have the maintenance and repair/warranty issue to contend with as well. There's no reason you can't buy from Ibex or whathaveyou, but these are some reasons I wouldn't recommend it unless you know what you want.

Ross
Ross has some good points here. Well, Maida too.

Sometimes the internet has a lot of different options to choose from (Ibex and similars, and also some specialty stores, that offer boutique bikes and customs builds). I got used to buying from internet sites, but I kinda know what I'm looking for. Some other more experienced guys really understand what they're looking for. But, in retrospective, when I was learning, having someone to talk to helped (even if he tried to sell me only what he had in inventory at that moment).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.