Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 08 scalpel and have mounted schwable rocket Ron 2.25 on the rear wheel. Under power in rocky sections I am getting some rub on the lower chainstay support. The wheel is not centered in the chainstay and it looks like a slight re-dish of the wheel could center it up and stop the rub.

My question is will having the wheel dished to the stay compromise the strength of the wheel? Then secondly what questions should I ask of lbs to make sure the person working on the wheel is qualified.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
1. Ask them for references from previous wheel build customers. (Ask the references how satisfied they were with their wheels)

2. Ask them if they recommend having the wheels they build retrued after riding a few rides, due to them breaking in. (An expertly built wheel shouldn't need to be retrued until it's taken some hits, been abused or crashed, or been ridden for years)

3. Describe the symptoms you've been experiencing, and see if they also consider the frame, QR skewer tension, and the hub bearings adjustment. (There may be several things contributing to your problem)

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
dblvanos said:
I have an 08 scalpel and have mounted schwable rocket Ron 2.25 on the rear wheel. Under power in rocky sections I am getting some rub on the lower chainstay support. The wheel is not centered in the chainstay and it looks like a slight re-dish of the wheel could center it up and stop the rub.

My question is will having the wheel dished to the stay compromise the strength of the wheel? Then secondly what questions should I ask of lbs to make sure the person working on the wheel is qualified.
More dish will make it weaker less will increase strength.....well may just a little tiny bit.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jeffscott said:
More dish will make it weaker less will increase strength.....well may just a little tiny bit.
That is what I am affraid of, I think 3/16 of an inch would fix the rub issue and bring it closer to the center of the stays, but I hate to reduce strenght.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts