Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After riding about 10 miles so far on my new bike( wahoo), Im also starting to notice that my steering is pretty wobbly. I know it could be because Im not used to riding a mtb, but could having too long a stem (stretched arms) also cause this? And since I have the genesis geometry, Im assuming there is less weight at the front tire, and if I get a shorter stem will this take even more weight off the front tire? So far I have felt little confidence in taking this bike through sharp turns as well. Ive tried sliding my seat forward and back, but as I move it forward, my butt wants to keep sliding back when I pedal and it feels like I get better leg extension with the seat back, but my arms are too stretched. Is a shorter stem in the works? and what are adv/disadv of a short stem?

Thanks

·
Registered
148 Posts
First off, is the frame fitted to your body size?

I have a BigSur with genesis design that I've been riding for the last 6 years, I have found that its a great climber and yes it does make me scoot back on the seat during climbing. The stem that was stock on it was 90mm and with the long top tube, it made for a pretty stretched out position, I'd have to be carefull on some downhill parts. I have just replaced the stem to a 70mm and it feels better immediately, shorter cockpit, but I haven't gone out on any real trails with it.
Shorter stem might be what you need but keep in mind that it will make the steering faster, more precise which is great on the down runs but you have to concentrate more on keeping it steady when climbing.

·
Registered
9,544 Posts
In my opinion, that geo is a more race-oriented geo that works well IF it fits you well. It also works well on fast and smooth trails, especially with a low BB height. The important thing is ETT fit. If you're too stretched out, you cannot move the front around well enough. Just ride it for a while longer and maybe put a shorter stem on it to see if it helps.

Any idea what the TT and stem length is now? Maybe try a stem that is 20mm shorter (no less than 90mm) and see if that helps.

·
Registered
9,544 Posts
I should have been more clear. I was assuming you had a 100-120 mm stem so I suggested not making a radical change. You could go shorter but it will make significant changes to the bike's handling. That is not necessarily a bad thing. Measure your stem and find out what your Effective Top Tube length is.

Also, how tall are you- average arm length? Sitting a bit more upright gives you a little more control in technical section and a shorter stem quickens up your steering while giving you the ability to lift the front up a bit easier. Going radically short or long negatively affects the handling.

It all depends on your trails and your body dimensions. There is no sure answer without all this data but shortening your stem by 20mm may be a good start if you're feeling too stretched out. You could also slide your seat forward on the rails by a few mm. Experimenting with all these options helped many of us find comfortable positions on the bike.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My stem is a stock 105 mm. Im 5'10" with about a 30" inseam. I did have them try a 17.5" inch frame, but it was small feeling, so Im more at the lower size of the 19" (what I own). My ETT (top tube + stem??) is about 732 mm. Im just worried if I try a smaller stem, will I lose stability?

·
Registered
9,544 Posts
I think a 90mm stem will be just fine. Are you using a flat bat? I find I can control the bike better with a riser and some sweep as well. I used to ride a narrow flat bar and eventually moved to wider (27") risers and found I coud control the bike easier. Just some thoughts.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.