Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey fella's, just want to know what sort of trails Forrest has? is it comparable to You Yangs? im planning to do a 3 day trip with a few friends spending a day at the You Yangs and 2 at forrest.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Forrest is very different to You Yangs, wet and loamy with lots of grass trees versus dry and sandy with lots of rocks. I've only ridden the "easy" trails at Forrest and apparently they are the best ones, good fun, great day out. The best trails at the Youies are the harder ones at the Stockyards and the Junction Track - I was there today - another great day out. There is some riding around Anglesea also if you run out of stuff at Forrest.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
just another quick question, i'm using maxxis crossmarks atm, which are excellent for the Yangs. would i be better off with something a bit more aggressive for Forrest? also does anyone have any pictures of Forrest?

·
fan of maple syrup
1,581 Posts
I'm no tyre expert (I only ever have 2 sets - one for winter, one for summer), but I would've thought the trails around Forrest are diverse enough that no singular make of tyre would be considered perfect, or significantly better anyway. There are loamy parts, sandy parts, hard packed parts, muddy parts, loose parts ... really a bit of everything. I've only ever ridden there dry, on whatever I had each time - mostly stock tyres that came with bike. Never had any problems keeping up with anyone else on either of my 2 sets. I get by.

The only thing about the Forrest trails that I can think will affect anything is there's heaps of shade, so I imagine it will be pretty moist most of winter. I seem to remember one of the regulars here rode crossmarks in the Otways Odyssey (which was really damp) and had no problems. Look for any posts regarding that race and you'll get your pictures.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.