Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the Marzocchi ETA system just have two settings at max travel and low travel or can you set it at any point in it's travel. Reason i'm asking is i'm thinking about getting a marz All Mountain for my trance and tight singletrack at 150 mm would be tough to ride.

·
carpe mañana
7,309 Posts
Dirtboyracer said:
Does the Marzocchi ETA system just have two settings at max travel and low travel or can you set it at any point in it's travel. Reason i'm asking is i'm thinking about getting a marz All Mountain for my trance and tight singletrack at 150 mm would be tough to ride.
The ETA system doesn't really work like you're thinking. It is a lock down. When you engage the ETA, the fork compresses, but does not rebound, it wouldn't work for tight singletrack riding as you call it. It is meant for climbing for riding.

Sounds like what you want is a travel adjustable fork. You may wish to look into a AM1 with ATA or a PIKE with U-Turn or a Talas.

_MK

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,891 Posts
At least some of the 06 All Mountains also have TAS so the travel can be adjusted up to 20mm, but not exactly 'on-the-fly' as you have to let the air out of one leg, adjust the travel knob and then re-inflate. Some are 130mm to 110mm and some are 150mm to 130mm.

The ETA takes away far more travel than the TAS does. Closer to half of the travel is eliminated by the ETA, which makes climbing steeps much easier.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,613 Posts
crisillo said:
the ETA will only lock down the fork at about 1 inch.. there is no in between... Marzocchi forks have additional features for travel adjust like TAS
WRONG, all ETA forks are "incrimental", and they work in 20mm incriments, meaning that you can use ETA to lock it down halfway, or at any 20mm incriment inbetween max and fully extended. It won't work like a fully extended fork obviously, but this is usefull when you want to use the ETA function but you don't want or need to lock it down all the way at once, and as you ride further impacts will usually compress it and cause it to be locked down further (as long as the ETA lever is engaged).

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
Jayem said:
WRONG, all ETA forks are "incrimental", and they work in 20mm incriments, meaning that you can use ETA to lock it down halfway, or at any 20mm incriment inbetween max and fully extended. It won't work like a fully extended fork obviously, but this is usefull when you want to use the ETA function but you don't want or need to lock it down all the way at once, and as you ride further impacts will usually compress it and cause it to be locked down further (as long as the ETA lever is engaged).
WRONG :lol:

That's how ECC5 on my Marathon works... but my ETA forks..locked all the way down at once...

·
carpe mañana
7,309 Posts
crisillo said:
WRONG :lol:

That's how ECC5 on my Marathon works... but my ETA forks..locked all the way down at once...
Jayem's delivery typically offends rather than get the point across. But what he's saying is mostly true. When you engage the ETA, every time you exert enough force on the fork to make it compress it stays there. Engaging the ETA doesn't guarantee a full lock down all the way down to 30mm of extension, it only goes as far down as you compress it. When you do so just slightly, you have a preloaded spring with near full travel left (minus the amount it is compressed) and each time you hit a bump past the threshold of the current state of the coil, it will compress further. I am not so sure about the 20mm increment business, however.

_MK

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
MK_ said:
Jayem's delivery typically offends rather than get the point across. But what he's saying is mostly true. When you engage the ETA, every time you exert enough force on the fork to make it compress it stays there. Engaging the ETA doesn't guarantee a full lock down all the way down to 30mm of extension, it only goes as far down as you compress it. When you do so just slightly, you have a preloaded spring with near full travel left (minus the amount it is compressed) and each time you hit a bump past the threshold of the current state of the coil, it will compress further. I am not so sure about the 20mm increment business, however.

_MK
Yeah i know... but since he posts like that.. I wanted to see if he got into a yelling game... j/k

I have experienced that ETA doesn't collapse by switching the lever, but does go down in much bigger "chunks" than my ECC5...... but ECC5 keeps going all the way down, while ETA does stop about an inch before the end of the travel..

Additionally, my comment at the beginning was a "one line explanation" of ETA, intended to give and overall comment on what it does.... sorry for not being thorough...

EDIT: Thanks for clearing it up in a civilized manner, _MK! :thumbsup:

·
carpe mañana
7,309 Posts
crisillo said:
EDIT: Thanks for clearing it up in a civilized manner, _MK! :thumbsup:
Anytime. :cool: :p

And I wasn't questioning your knowledge at all, I just wanted to avoid that yelling contest. ;)

_MK

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.